Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front End Pop

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You can check for that real easy.... stuff a shop rag between the hood and the fender right at the hinge, on both sides, and drive it. Noise goes away, that's the problem.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Beginning Member
stokedboss is on a distinguished road

Okay, I tried the shop rags in the hood, and no dice still have the noise. I checked the CV joints, all of the boots look in very good condition with almost new looking clamps on them, I'm wondering if they've been done recently. As for that control arm stop your talking about, I don't think that's it because it's making the noise almost every time I turn now, not just at full turn, just pulling away from the curb will make the noise.

About the motor mounts how would I check those?

Is there anything else you think it could be before I drop $600 on all new "Pro grade" control arms? I think I might take it to the tire shop, and get their mechanic to look at it. I find it hard to believe that it can make that much noise, and no one knows where it's coming from. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for the help so far.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:08 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Is the steering box loose? Can you feel it in the steering wheel or on the floor?
If you feel it in the wheel then tighten up steering componants, if it's in the floor then it's something body or frame related because the steering componants are kind of isolated. With the steering box you'd probably feel it in both.
I've read all this & I still think an upper ball joint, but you say you've replaced them.
Hmmm maybe upper control arm bushings are worn or locking up. They do that when they're tightened without vehicle weight on the wheels.
I know UCA bushings aren't really steering related but when you turn the wheel the tires change ride height... a little.

Last edited by Rottidog; 06-12-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Beginning Member

The steering feels tight, more like you can feel it in the floor/body. I only did ball joints on one side, the driver side. The mechanics that have looked at it think the ball joints are okay, though that isn't saying much these days... When I first bought it, I had it at the dealership because it needed an alignment really bad. The tech there said that he wouldn't adjust the camber because the control arm bushings/bolts were in such bad shape, but I've had it aligned at another shop since then; I wonder if they didn't do the camber as well and just told me it was fine... This is getting to be frustrating. I had it up on jacks tonight again, and there is no play whatsoever up and down on the tire. There is however play from left to right, a little bit, but I'm not sure how much is normal?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran

The east west play could be idler, pitman, steering box, tie rod ends, cv joints even loose 18mm bolts on the brakes perhaps <-- been there lol. You have to look at each componant as a friend turns the wheel or twists the tires & see what moves 1st before the steering arm. What seems sloppy & doesn't move as a collective steering assembly? No I'm not a Star Trek freak lol but it did remind me of The Borg lol.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I guess here's the thing I've replaced almost every part of the steering assembly now, and two shops have said its fine, which is why I'm thinking it's probably the control arms.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 PM
BF Veteran

Ok a friend once said to me (he's a comp nerd btw) "just because it's new doesn't mean it's good".
I'm just asking/saying to get a friend to turn the wheel or twist a tire from side to side & you get under & see what moves 1st. To me that's what'll tell you what is loose or not right. Take some time & investigate to see where the play is. Hands on & eyes open & think about what's involved in making the tires turn & having that "pop" sound in your heard while doing that, could lead you to the answer.

Frusterating chit I know. I had a POP that was annoying me to no end... turned out to be the door hinge bearings. Another was the conacle hood washers, I saw a loose motor mount after the engine was replaced lol. The motor mount was holding like it should, just the nut wasn't as tight as it should have been & eventually it may have fallen out.
If I didn't shave my head I'd rip my hair out at times ;-)

Last edited by Rottidog; 06-12-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:08 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

as far as checking the motor mounts, i could not, but like you i replaced most
everything, but the pop was only under a "load" , i just bought 2 new ones
and cussed like a sailor installing them,and swor ill newer do this again
but has not "poped" since

Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Beginning Member

Ok guys, I know it's been awhile, but I've checked and double checked everything. There is nothing moving in my steering linkage, and there is nothing moving anywhere in my suspension. I've brought it to three different shops now, and they all are puzzled at what the noise could be, they've checked and re-checked all the steering/suspension components, I've even had them look at the motor mounts, and control arm bushings and they've all concluded there is nothing wrong with them. It holds an alignment without issue... So the only thing left would be the frame to body mounts? How would I go about checking/replacing those, and is it really worth it to do so? Any more suggestions? Thanks for all the input thus far!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

If it was the frame to body mounts (cab mounts) You would know it, every bump you go over, you would hear/feel a slapping noise. What about sway bar end links/bushings?

Quick Reply: Front End Pop