Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front end pop/thud?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Starting Member
Blade_24k is on a distinguished road
Default Front end pop/thud?

Lately I've been hearing this like thud from the front mostly when I am backing up AND turning. I occasionally hear it when I'm going forward and turning. But when I'm backing up I hear one "thud" and the same when in drive when at LOW speed, like when I'm in drive from reverse and straitening the wheel back out.

I do have cranked tortions. So I was thinking that the increased angle on the cv axles was to much for the knuckles to rotate properly and they were "popping". Does this sound right or does someone know what it acctually is? I've replaced the ball joints and hand an alignment since I cranked my tortions

Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like ball joints. How are the boots around them (all 4 upper & lower), have they been greased often enough (swollen a little) & was the alignment done after the ball joints were replaced?
Look around under the front & see what the ball joints, tie rod ends look like & the CV's. Boots cracked or lifted, open & grease leaking out or totally flat & no grease.
Lift the front end & have someone move the tires left & right then up & down. See if some componant moves before it moves other parts.
Try a search in here (this section) for noises, front end bumps etc, get creative in the wording.

Last edited by Rottidog; 07-19-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Starting Member

Originaly i brought it to the shop for an alighnment, and they told me i needed new lower ball joints, so i took it home and changed both of the upper and both of the lower, then cranked my tortions, and then brought it back and and had the alighnment done, and i did grease them right after, so the and this was all maybe a month-month and a half ago.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:13 PM
BF Veteran

How are the idler & pitman arms, any play? I'm just trying to think of physics & where the force goes backing up & turning, what's affected by that particular force?!
Possibly upper or lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends again come to mind.
CV joints would probably make the same noise & equally forward or reverse. It could even possibly be the front differential mounts loose.
What was the last thing you did before you parked it? Drove it forward! Driving forward is what we do 99% of the time, things settle in that position, by backing up you move that "normal" force the opposite direction. What could move because of that? Maybe the diff mount bolts are loose?

You did ask for any thoughts! lol

Last edited by Rottidog; 07-19-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Starting Member

i havent noticed any play in it, but i cant be 100%, I'll take a closer look at that tomorrow hopfully. i know there was one grease zerk on the dirver side i could not get at unless i took the cv shaft completely off, and i never had time to do that, so now that i think of it i wonder if that my be it.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran

A zerk you can't get to? Do you have a 90 degree adaptor for the grease gun &/or a flex tube for it? I can get to all of mine on my '02 with a flex tube. Some are tough but I can grease them.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Starting Member

i have a flex hose, but i for the life of me cant find my 90 adapter. so ill prolly pick up another while i am out and about tomorrow. but if it is that, and its makin this noise im assuming im past the point of simply greasing it.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Starting Member

Random thought about this, I put new shocks in when I did my ball joints, and was wondering, is there such thing as over tightening them? Cuz I used an impact just out of laziness to make it go faster. And was thinking that maybe it's binding?