Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front end pulls right

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 06:52 PM
chalks007 is on a distinguished road
Default Front end pulls right

I've got a constant pull to the right. Last weekend I did upper control arms, steering gear box, pitman arm, idler arm. I got it aligned tonight, it shows everything is in spec but it still pulls right. I've tried rotating tires after alignment n it's the same. Steering is tight but still constant right pull. I could really use some help here... Maybe rag joint?

Old 03-05-2016, 08:02 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Chalks007, I don't think a bad rag joint ---fairly common problem--- would cause a pull to the right. A bad rag joint would cause a loose or sloppy steering feel. It could be a brake problem on the right side causing a pull to the right. For example, a sticking caliper or bad brake hose causing the right caliper to stick. After driving awhile, get out and feel the left and right side wheel near the center to see if one side is much hotter than the other. If the right side is hotter, it indicates that side caliper is sticking and causing more friction and more heat build up. An internally collapsed brake hose will do it and is hard to find. KLet us know what you find. Jim

Old 03-05-2016, 09:24 AM

Jim,
I'm going to throw both flex front flex hoses on today. They seemed swelled at the mounting bracket. I did notice when I brake the car straightens so it something is hung up. Pads and calipers seem fine and pins move freely. I'll keep you posted, hopefully it's just the flex hose!!
Thanks, Brian

Old 03-05-2016, 02:05 PM

That's great. You'll probably have to bleed the brakes afterward. Please let us know it works out. Jim

Old 03-06-2016, 07:57 PM

Put both flex hoses on front. Replaced 3/16 line as well. Bled the system and car still has constant pull. I drove 15 miles on highway, got out and felt all rims and all barely had any noticeable heat. Maybe bent axle? I have no idea at this point. I thought about replacing both front calipers but they don't smell as if they're locked up. Running out of ideas here...

Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Still could be a alignment issue.
But in having said that jack each tire up and check for a drag while spinning them by hand.
A rear brake on the right hand side too tight and dragging will cause the vehicle to try to pull to the right also
EDIT
also while you have the right front wheel up check for a bad wheel bearing, grab the tire at 12 & 6 o'clock and the same at 9&3 o'clock see if the tire will rock

Last edited by odat; 03-07-2016 at 12:01 AM. Reason: added text
Old 03-07-2016, 07:56 AM

I am sorry the flex hoses didn't fix the 'pull to the right'. The spin by hand is a good idea, but the reality is it is hard to tell on a 4WD Blazer whether it is a 'difficult spin' due to a bad wheel hub or a problem with the 4WD system. I had a bad right front wheel hub, but it was noticable only at 40 mph, and I could NOT spin it by hand fast enough to make the noise appear. It felt and sounded fine when I spun it by hand. It would be great if you felt a lot of resistance on the right side compared to the left side. Good Luck! Jim

Old 03-10-2016, 08:06 PM
syfaz777 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chalks007
Put both flex hoses on front. Replaced 3/16 line as well. Bled the system and car still has constant pull. I drove 15 miles on highway, got out and felt all rims and all barely had any noticeable heat. Maybe bent axle? I have no idea at this point. I thought about replacing both front calipers but they don't smell as if they're locked up. Running out of ideas here...
were you able to fix the problem? my truck also pulls to the right. maybe its the lower arm bushings, check for play. or maybe its your upper arms (the alignment washers next to the bolts)... please keep us updated. im sorry you had to replace all those parts and still have the problem. i'm thinking about replacing my idler arm. there is a lot of play, my passenger wheel has about a half inch play from left to right, enough to throw alignment off.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:09 AM

vehicle still pulls to the right. Jacked it up and No wheel drag on any tire. Firestone adjusted the uppers because I marked the bolts and washers with whiteout before they did the alignment. I might replace the lower control arms, as far right now I'm going to leave it be for a few weeks. I have to do the LIM this weekend. Spring an oil leak on the China wall.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:04 PM
khart83 is on a distinguished road

I have an 87 silverado, had a problem with my steering box coming loose from the frame, no matter how much it was tightened down.

Quick Reply: Front end pulls right