Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front Suspension Replacement Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:12 AM
Fungamer2817 is on a distinguished road
Default Front Suspension Replacement Parts

1998 LT 4dr 4x4
My front left ball joint and bearing broke after hitting an inclined drive way too fast, I didn't realize how inclined it was until my head hit the roof. I'm gonna replace them with cheap parts atm but I'm gonna buy a full front end set once I can save up so money for it.

So my question is, what's the best parts to buy? Rockauto has a Mevotech set that comes with a lot of the parts, but is getting all the Moog parts or another brand separately a better option?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies!

Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

I went with all moog and have always read it is the preferred better product. I ordered all my mood online and that saved a ton of cash.....just an example the idler arm was $78 online and $107 in the parts store .....$29 savings just on that part.....That's Canadian funds so I saved about a million us dollars...lol

Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I agree. It sounds like you hit your head. The lesson to learn from your experience is the importance of those parts. Read "economy" parts as "I'm going to punt this car but I need it to last a test drive". Bumps in the road happen, don't roll on cheap parts.

I'm glad you're here and mean no disrespect to you with the "hit your head" comment. My disrespect is directed at cheap parts.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:43 PM
Fungamer2817 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
I agree. It sounds like you hit your head. The lesson to learn from your experience is the importance of those parts. Read "economy" parts as "I'm going to punt this car but I need it to last a test drive". Bumps in the road happen, don't roll on cheap parts.

I'm glad you're here and mean no disrespect to you with the "hit your head" comment. My disrespect is directed at cheap parts.
I wasn't going eBay parts, by cheap I meant whatever parts I could get from pepboys or oreilys. And I pretty much was just gonna put them on so the car was off jacks and able to roll to a shop so the full kit can be put on.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:07 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

If your just moving it and replacing them anyways go cheap. But I would suggest Moog parts if your going to leave them in.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:38 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Have Moog parts on mine for some 20'000 miles now. Doing good.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:40 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

I think I'm the one odd ball when it comes to Moog. At this point, my entire front end has been converted to Moog, but I still find myself having to replace them on occasion. They seem to last me about 2 years and then things get to squeaking again. I replaced my A-arm bushings last year and they've begun to start squeaking again. By replace, I'm talking about a complete tear down on both sides at the same time, then a thorough cleaning and painting of the A-arms themselves and cleaning of the chassis mounts before finally putting everything back together. All I can figure is my driveway is a pretty steep incline, and there's a bunch of dips I have to go through to get to and from home every day so maybe they're just too much for the front end.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:31 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Have you thought/looked into greasable control arm bushings?