Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front wheel travel questons

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Beginning Member
seanmurphy265 is on a distinguished road
Default Front wheel travel questons

I have a 1992 s10 4x4 with 1" of lift cranked into the front torsion bars. I have 2" shackles on the back with rough country helper springs. I also replaced the 4 collapsed shocks with rough country shocks. A week ago I was hunting and as I was checking out of the wildlife refuge the left front upper ball joint came out of the spindle mount. I replace the upper and lower ball joints when I did the lift.

The upper ball joint pulled the nut off, broke the cotter pin, and came out. I was creeping along because I was stopping. I got a new upper ball joint and put it all back together. Not understanding what happened I leaned out of the window as I was going across some bumps. The tire is moving up and out of the wheel well. I thought it was suppose to move up and to the inside of the wheel well?

Both front tires had positive camber so I adjusted on the eccentric bolts on the control arms. I am now at -1 (slightly leaning in to the wheel well). This helped some with the wheel travel, but the wheels are still moving up and out.

I'm not sure what I need to do? Is this normal?