Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

G80 - Best Locker in the World or Bomb? Need everyone's input

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:46 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
not wantting to rant on like Curtis...
i wasn't ranting...

and i did just grab a random def... so i might have been spool/mini-spool

Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Curtis! If you are going to rail on a subject, at least check your sources! LMAO!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:24 PM
BF Veteran

it's more of a reflex at this point

i guess my point is this: limited slip = not a locker, even if it "locks" <-- that may **** of the mechanical locker crowd though...

locking with out slip = locker whether its full time or something you can lock it on the fly/at will

better?

maybe i'm in the minority here and the G80 is a true locker... :icon_cheers:

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-02-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your opinion and the definition of a locker, in this case, do not coincide. Else, a selectable locker would not be classified as a locker, nor would a detroit locker since both have the ability to unlock...

A limited slip works based on friction from a preloaded clutch pack that does not guarantee equal wheel speeds. The G80 does not have a preloaded clutch pack and, once locked up, it guarantees equal wheel speed (provided the G80 is operating properly) therefore it is a locker; more precisely, as I have stated, it is an automatic locker. Just like a selectable locker, it requires some kind of stimulus to activate.

The G80 Gov-loc differential does act as a limited slip rear differential when unlocked with a slight preload to the clutches. When there is a difference in wheel speeds as is common when you are stuck, the cam plate will compress the clutch pack providing full lockup between the driver & passenger axle shafts.

The basic unlocked & locked functions of the Gov-loc operate very similarly to the Eaton e-locker which has a very simple electro-magnet in place of all of the complex mechanical linkages & cam plate that often make the G80 Gov-loc unreliable.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
BF Veteran

fair enough.

I stand corrected

Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

First, a few definitions or descriptions;

Spool = Both axles locked all the time. (this is a Locker)

Limited Slip = Open (kind of-springs force cluthes to slip even without torque) until "torqued" then cluthes try harder to connect both axles. This causes difficulty turning a corner with very much power and can cause a car to break trac in a corner and slide worse than the same car in the same corner with an open diff. Requires special grease additive to modify the friction of the grease or "Friction Modifier" to reduce chatter in corners.

Selectable Locker (electric or air) = open, corners easily. Operator must engage the lock then both axles are locked completely until operator selects unlock. Great for guys who are serious about driving in rough country.

G-80= open most the time. May not be best locker for real serious guys in real serious situations. Detects "wheel spin above xx RPM" (some say 25 rpm some say 100 rpm) and "Locks" the axles together. Once they lock, they are locked until torque transfers to opposite direction or wheel then they unlock completely.

I'd argue that ABN31B's definition of "Locker" it ambiguous. I'd offer a simpler one; "Can Lock axles together in difficult driving conditions" I'd also argue that G-80s and Selectable diffs can do so, but Limited Slips typically can NOT do so.

I'd also say that for the average Blazer driver (not the rock crawlers and hot rodders) with stock motors tranny and tires, that the G-80 it the best locker to have. It does not require special routine maintenance (friction modifiers). It's great for normal driving, cornering and accellerating, It won't push you out of a normal curve, like a limited slip, but when you NEED a lock (as in the video above), it's there for you, like magic.

Let's face it, the Eaton video (or GM video) above shows some great examples.

For me, the G80 is the BEST Locker in the world!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:38 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It's semantics really and has been discussed 'ad nauseum' in the past.
and then some!

Originally Posted by ABN31B
i wasn't ranting...
i know.

and you're right billbo, it all comes down to what the o/o is intending to use his rig for.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
willyman82 is on a distinguished road

98 Bravada : Fantastic!
I swapped out my G80 around 220K miles after beating the crap out of it for years. The problems I was encountering were Auto 4WD (dumbtrac) engaging on the highway due to slop in the rear end when I let off the throttle, locking engagement in corners and serious clunking when going into and out of gear.
I swapped a Detroit True Trak unit in place of the G80. It is much better for my driving style, but I still liked many attributes of the G80. If I ever set the vehicle up for off-roading I would want the G80 in there. Does anyone know where I can find a rebuild kit for it? The spider gears actually "look" fine. I think the play is down to the wear on the side clutches. The early engagement in corners is probably because I baked the fluid doing donuts and wore out the little counter weight spring with the heat cycling. All the hard parts in the thing look absolutely fine. I used the original ring and pinion gear with the True Trak unit and all is well at 240K miles.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Starting Member
big orange is on a distinguished road

Ok I got a queastion . Which whould be better for the frount diff a cable locker or a full time locker

Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

Any locker in the front can be a serious thing for a driver who is not expecting it. If you are to be the only driver, I'd say either option has merit. If your wife might drive from time to time, I'd suggest a manual engaged system that won't scare her.

I'd be interested to hear how many guys run any kind of limited slip or locker in front. The serious guys I know of do not with only one exception of a rock crawler.

Quick Reply: G80 - Best Locker in the World or Bomb? Need everyone's input