Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

G80 in the front differential

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The diff center section will likely last quite well, however it is the aluminum housing that doesn't get along too well with lockers.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:11 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

I honestly have no idea what my housing is made of. How do I find out?

Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have any magnets? A magnet will stick to the cast iron housing, but not to the aluminum one. Plus, the aluminum will look like, well, aluminum.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:18 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Have any magnets? A magnet will stick to the cast iron housing, but not to the aluminum one. Plus, the aluminum will look like, well, aluminum.
haha alright. I gotta go out tonight so I will grab a magnet off the fridge lol

Old 02-24-2010, 12:10 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

according to Logan, only the 5 speed ZR's came with a CI housing. i know, 'cause i asked him what his was, since i was gonna try & snag it when he does his SAS.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

so pretty much with the aluminum housing its pretty much impossible to have functioning lockers in the front? and I have heard about getting the spider gears welded together but how would that be for a daily driver? I was thinking about getting it done to the rear end so at least both of my back tires spin. how expensive would that be to get done?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator

You can run one of the drop in lockers in the front, but if you use it hard, you will likely damage the front diff housing. It is a risk you run with just about any modification you do to your truck, especially when you push the limits.

If you currently have an open rear diff, I would look at getting either a drop in locker, or a new diff center section with a selectable locker rather than just welding up the gears. You can probably get the gears welded up pretty economically, but you will waste your rear tires in no time if this is going to be your daily driver.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:56 PM
cyberdog is on a distinguished road

WHat axle is in the rear so i knwo i get the right locker ? is it 7.2 , 7.5 or some other ?

ALso is it 7.2 in the front ? 26 spline in rear and front ?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

depends on your truck (year, and specs)

common 2 gen 4wd is 7.625 with 28 spline for the rear

check your RPO's as they have some info that might help you out a bit

Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
cyberdog is on a distinguished road

I have a early 1996 .

Gonna check the RPO´s

Quick Reply: G80 in the front differential