Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

G80 Test Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:03 AM
jcheil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default G80 Test Procedure

How can I test if my G80 is "working as designed".
I got hung up the other day (frame hung, see-saw) and I swear I only had one-wheel wonder action going on out back.

Thanks,
Jay

Old 12-18-2007, 12:21 PM
jphayes921 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: G80 Test Procedure

got the same g80 in my blazer and I get the same thing all the time. only one spinning when supposed to have two.....

Old 12-18-2007, 12:39 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a locker and if I remember correctly the design of it makes it work kind of like a variable limited slip. Unless one tire is sensed as slipping, the other tire won't lock in. I believe it was designed to keep your rear end from coming loose and sending you sideways on things like a gravel road (which I had happen to me once with a true limited-slip axle.)

Old 12-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Correction, it is a locker. It is a gov-loc assembly that is used. It will act somewhat like a light limited slip under normal conditions and once one slip on one wheel is sensed, it will lock the diff up, turning both wheels. This may result in the back end getting loose, but is to be expected with anything but an open diff.

As far as testing goes... That is a tough one. Given that there must first be a speed differential between the two wheels, it presents a problem for testing. While you are out and about, try getting onto a loose surface and just mash it in 2wd. See if one wheel spins or two...

Old 12-18-2007, 03:14 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Correction, it is a locker. It is a gov-loc assembly that is used. It will act somewhat like a light limited slip under normal conditions and once one slip on one wheel is sensed, it will lock the diff up, turning both wheels.
I dunno, I've grown up calling an axle that turns both wheels at the same time, all the time, a locker, activated either manually, electrically, or by pneumatics. GM can call the G80 what it wants to, but to me it's a form of limited-slip axle.

Just found this short article on this subject:
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/locking.html

Old 12-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

From the link above:
Now here is a twist to the locking differential story: When Chevy advertises its trucks with an optional rear locking differential - it indeed is a differential that locks up (automatically). In the 80's it was sold as a Gov-Lok for a while named Command-Traxx and is available in some Chevy trucks as G80 option. It is not manually activated as in Dodge, Jeep and Mercedes - it locks up automatically. It is a hybrid of a clutch type limited slip unit combined with a flyweight governor that is able to lock up 100%.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:35 PM
BF Guru

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

From the link above:
Now here is a twist to the locking differential story: When Chevy advertises its trucks with an optional rear locking differential - it indeed is a differential that locks up (automatically). In the 80's it was sold as a Gov-Lok for a while named Command-Traxx and is available in some Chevy trucks as G80 option. It is not manually activated as in Dodge, Jeep and Mercedes - it locks up automatically. It is a hybrid of a clutch type limited slip unit combined with a flyweight governor that is able to lock up 100%.

Yeah, I read that. It's the last line that counts. Even a limited-slip 'locks' up at some point. I'm still gonna callour's a limited-slip.

I know, I'm just hard-headed.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator

The difference as I see it is even if a limited slip will 'lock-up' at some point, it will not lock as soon as the automatic locker that the G80 is. Weakness aside, the G80 is the best of both worlds, limited slip around town so you don't wear your tires out prematurely and a locker when things get messy.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:40 PM
BF Guru

Awright, now we're gettin' closer! I love common ground.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:19 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The G80 is supposed to lock up at something like a 200RPM difference...

The G80 in the new style GM pickups works MUCH better...

I'm not a fan of the G80 in my Blazer... it might as well be an open diff, for how often it locks, lol.

There's a Volvo board somewhere, where the guys are modding their G80's for full lock 100% of the time... Which means you can probably get the G80 to lock earlier...

Quick Reply: G80 Test Procedure