Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

G80 Test Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:38 PM
jcheil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: G80 Test Procedure

ORIGINAL: drperry

I'm not a fan of the G80 in my Blazer... it might as well be an open diff, for how often it locks, lol.

There's a Volvo board somewhere, where the guys are modding their G80's for full lock 100% of the time... Which means you can probably get the G80 to lock earlier...
Thanks for all the great info. Here is my full problem:

I opened the diff about 2 months ago to change the fluid and by luck, the carrier was in a position in that it only showed the spider gear side of the carrier, not the "locking" side (you will know what I am talking about if you have ever opened up a G80). In any event, again, at that time I did not know it was a G80 (nor did I even know what a G80 was - I just saw spider gears ans said "open") ... so I bought a mini-spool to put in (I am ONLY 100% off-road use). Now, I am wondering:

1) Can I still put the mini-spool in and just remove the guts of the "locker assy"?
2) Does anyone know how to mod the existing G80 for full time locking or should I just look to swap the axle for an open and put the mini-spool in?

Thanks,
Jay

Old 12-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if you are going to like a mini spool... Even lockers unlock for turns. You could buy an open carrier and install a 'lunchbox locker' which just fits inside of the standard open carrier. This would allow you a diff that would ratchet when necessary to allow the wheels to turn at different speeds but lock when under power.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:05 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: jcheil

ORIGINAL: drperry

I'm not a fan of the G80 in my Blazer... it might as well be an open diff, for how often it locks, lol.

There's a Volvo board somewhere, where the guys are modding their G80's for full lock 100% of the time... Which means you can probably get the G80 to lock earlier...
Thanks for all the great info. Here is my full problem:

I opened the diff about 2 months ago to change the fluid and by luck, the carrier was in a position in that it only showed the spider gear side of the carrier, not the "locking" side (you will know what I am talking about if you have ever opened up a G80). In any event, again, at that time I did not know it was a G80 (nor did I even know what a G80 was - I just saw spider gears ans said "open") ... so I bought a mini-spool to put in (I am ONLY 100% off-road use). Now, I am wondering:

1) Can I still put the mini-spool in and just remove the guts of the "locker assy"?
2) Does anyone know how to mod the existing G80 for full time locking or should I just look to swap the axle for an open and put the mini-spool in?

Thanks,
Jay

To full time lock the G80, you've gotta fiddle with the springs that control the locking... You can probably find more info if you search the web...

Old 12-18-2007, 08:18 PM

OK, I found some info:

This vid shows how the G80 works...now I understand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMZ9vcYVSg&NR=1

This thread talks about modding the weights because the diff will not normally lock above 20mph.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/archiv...p/t-25829.html
(it even has full step-by-step pictures)

But honestly, this thing is used 100% off road so I am OK with the spool. It is always in the swamp.
I guess I would just like an opinion or 2 - try to install the mini-spool (if it can it be done on a G80) or try the mod they were talking about?

-- also, if anyone is familiar with this mod they are talking about is there any reason you could not just simply REMOVE the weight rather than making it smaller. It would seem that by removing it then it would allow locking at all speeds.

Thoughts anyone?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

For anything other than a straight line drag strip, you do NOT want a fully locked differential... It wears out tires faster, and there's control issues in slippery conditions at highway speeds...

Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 PM

Like I said before, 100% off-road.

In any event, I have spent 6 hours reading everything possible on the internet to come to the conclusion that there is nothing I can do with the G80 other than the volvo mod and the problem with that is that my axel is 18 years old and the clutches are surely work out. The carrier won't even acceptthe mini-spool.

Therefore, I am bringing my axle to Modifications Unlimited (West Palm, FL) tomorrow and they have an old non-G80 carrier they are gonna replace with mine and install the mini-spool that I bought that would not go in the original G80 carrier.

So in the end, I will still get my mini-spool installed ($100) and also learned WAY MORE than I wanted to know about lockers, etc.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Jay

Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 PM
BF Veteran

Most aftermarket diffs, don't fit into the G80 carrier...

Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: jcheil

-- also, if anyone is familiar with this mod they are talking about is there any reason you could not just simply REMOVE the weight rather than making it smaller. It would seem that by removing it then it would allow locking at all speeds.

Thoughts anyone?
Ok, after more investigations, answered my own question, you cannot remove that piece because that is the piece that slides over and locks the clutch plates together -- so removing the weighted part of that pieceis the only option.