Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Gear Ratio Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Beginning Member
odfareal is on a distinguished road
Default Gear Ratio Question

I'm interested in changing the gear ratio in my truck.

I currently have:
GU6 3.42:1 Rear Axle Ratio

I've read that changing to 4.10 as long as its within the power band, will give about 20% torque increase.

I'm interested in doing this, and need to know if I need to replace 2 4.10 gears, or if one will be fine? Will I also need to replace the carrier case for these gears also?

Info on my car in the sig.

As stated, I'm not a mechanic, so anything I've stated here, please feel free to comment or criticize. Just don't be a douche about it. LOL

btw, I have Hypertech Max Energy programmer. Used it to adjust tire size for more accurate speedometer and also did the shift points/firmness. It will let me change the gear ratio to 4.10.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, you definitely have a 4wd right? I seem to get mixed up with that. And yes, if you want to keep your 4wd functional you will need to upgrade both differentials, front and rear. You should be able to keep your stock housings and carriers, but you will need to set backlash and pinion pre-load and other stuff that's very exact and precise. If you know how to do it, go for it. If you don't, it's not something you want to try out and see if it works.

Since you already stated you're not a mechanic, I would call around to see what places will charge you to re-gear.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Ok, you definitely have a 4wd right? I seem to get mixed up with that. And yes, if you want to keep your 4wd functional you will need to upgrade both differentials, front and rear. You should be able to keep your stock housings and carriers, but you will need to set backlash and pinion pre-load and other stuff that's very exact and precise. If you know how to do it, go for it. If you don't, it's not something you want to try out and see if it works.

Since you already stated you're not a mechanic, I would call around to see what places will charge you to re-gear.
Much appreciated. As I live here in the city, I don't have my own garage to work on things. I plan on changing that soon. lol

Old 09-24-2009, 11:39 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Take it from me. You want your Gear Ratios to match. Otherwise no playing in the sloppy stuff... unless you have someone bigger and badder to pull you out.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:52 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Your post says you have 3.42's but your sig says you have 3.73's. Which is it?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Your post says you have 3.42's but your sig says you have 3.73's. Which is it?
3.42.... Didn't notice that in the sig. Fixed it.