Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Got an odd one

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020 | 02:31 PM
|
Juggalonmd is on a distinguished road
Default Got an odd one

I got into my blazer this morning and started backing up with the wheel cranked and it felt like wheel wanted to go underneath the truck.. I just replaced all the tie rods, center link, one of the end links and sway bar body bushings a couple weeks ago. Everything is greased and I'm driving straight. I got out and with the vehicle on the ground gave the wheel a shake and noticed a lil bit of play in what may be the wheel bearing. A friend changed that out for me while I was at work last summer and I'm sure he put it all together correctly. Is it possible that the bearing has gone out in that short amount of time? And could a bearing cause it to feel like the wheel wants to fall off or go under truck when I'm turning and backing?

Old 08-18-2020 | 02:55 PM
Starting Member
daveca is on a distinguished road

Wheel BEARINGS, plural. Small on outside, large on the inside. Doesnt sound like wheel bearings, more like ball joints or frame mounts. Although I did once see a dodge Dart with a front wheel literally tilted to the outside and a woman was driving it! Scary...

Lift the front end and with wheels straight, hold top and bottom of each front wheel and push in and out. See if the wheel wiggles. Then have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock and watch the motions underneath. Try tilting the wheels with the steering at the stops.

Old 08-18-2020 | 05:03 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Front steering is something I always do both sides with. And if one part is good, I'll keep it as a spare.

and one thing I've notice with wheel bearings, proper torque of the cv axle bolt is a must! Install a new one either over or under tightened, and it wont last as long as you think.

and I've also had problems with cheap brands not lasting.

edit: I'm also rough with my truck, so it could be that too lol...