Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

greasing stock lower ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:33 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb greasing stock lower ball joint

narrowed my insane sqeak to the drivers lower ball joint, im pretty sure its just dry.

anyone know if there actually is a grease nipple for this? i searched and searched and found nothing

and if there isnt are there any alternatives other than changing it? soak it in some wd-40? lol

are they tough to replace?

Old 05-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There should be. It may be covered with dirt and old grease down through the hole in the lower control arm.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:28 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Did the stock ball joints come as serviceable units? If not you could use a grease needle to get under the boot and get grease in that way.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

if there is no grease fitting, you can go and get a great injector, it looks like a large syringe needle with a grease fitting on the end. There is 2 ways to use this if there is a small hole in the ball joint then you can inject the grease into there if not then you can inject it directly into the boot

Old 05-18-2009, 06:08 PM
BF Veteran

sounds difficult....kinda.....ball joints have boots? i called and a ball joint was under $30 for the cheapest one.....

Old 05-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

You really don't want the cheapest one. You want Moog...

Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 PM
BF Veteran

well sure. but my bank account says otherwise at the moment.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Would your bank account like to pay to have it replaced again in short order?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Ummmm...you do realize that you should have been greasing your front end, including all ball joints, as part of regular maintenance, right? I lube my front end every time I change my oil.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:10 PM
BF Veteran

ummmm...you do realize i DO NOT CHANGE MY OWN OIL, but thanks for asking.

i really dont think there are grease nipples for this particular ball joint(stock 98) lower drivers side to be exact. i think it was the TRW ball joint they were speaking of....

Quick Reply: greasing stock lower ball joint