Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Grinding from the front end

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Nadeaux is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grinding from the front end

The girlfriend has an 02 S10 Blazer and she is getting a grinding sound when breaking. Breaks where replaced 3 months ago then a week later she rear end someone. The blazer was in the shop a few weeks and when she got it back all was good. She drove it for about a month with no problems now there is a grinding sound coming from the front left side when breaking. The shop that did the breaks checked it out and said the hub bearings needed to be replaced and said it would cost about $900. Does this sound right? I need to call a few other palces for prices but it seems like a lot of cash for hub bearings.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Grinding from the front end

im guessing its a 4wd, right? if so, you cant just replace the bearings. you'll have to replace the whole hub asembly. i know they're pricey, but 900 bucks a side seems pretty steep. id definatly get some prices from some other shops.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Nadeaux is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah its 4wd. I had heard about the hub asembly but didn't think they would be too expensive. Anyone know what they cost and how hard of an instal.

Old 11-18-2005, 04:21 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hub assemblies cost about $175 each by me. You need one for each side of the truck.

They are not hard if you have the right tools. Should take less then 1hr if its your first time, less then a 1/2hr if you've done them before. I am not sure how the Haynes manual has you replace the hub assemble. However a guy in the shop showed my how he does it.

This is with an impact gun.
Jack it up.
Remvoe tire.
Take off center nut.
Unbolt caliper and hang it out of the way.
Remove rotor.
Unbolt CV shaft from center section.
Remove CV shaft from hub.
Unbolt hub assemble, should be 3 bolts on back side.

Installation is reverse. Real simple, quick and easy with impact tools.