Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

A guy from jolly old England needs your help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 AM
bigvmc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A guy from jolly old England needs your help

Hi guys this is my first time posting.

I have a 2000 right hand drive LT blazer 4.3auto

The vehicle has the dash mounted 4x4 selection with 2hi 4hi 4lo and the auto 4wd.

The vehicle will not engage 4wd when i press from 2wd to 4wd it just flashes but then returns to 2wd.

after much reading it seems this is a common problem. My problem however is that sadly in the Uk the blazer never took off and so nowhere wants to work on them or stock parts or anything. its a nightmare.

I very rarely use 4wd but just last week the UK had snow and i had no 4wd. I have been looking at the posi lok system.

my question is does the posi lok bypass all the vacuum and stuff?
if my selection was not working on the mounted dash would the posi lok sort all that out?

as i say the problems i have is that i have to order from the USA pay shipping taxes etc so dont want to take the risk on the posi lok possibly solving the issue. All i want to do is the be able to fully engage 4wd when i need it for bad weather or driving over fields etc,

and to those who have fitted the kit is it easy to do. im not that mechanical. i cant even get a Haynes repair manual in the UK for the car[]

any help i would really appreciate it

Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Default RE: A guy from jolly old England needs your help

anyone??

Old 02-18-2009, 01:37 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Please be patient until somebody who feels like they can help gets a chance to respond. Generally, posting within 24 hrs (unless somebody has replied) is against Forum rules. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

We have yet to have someone with an Auto4wd model retrofit a posi-lock setup in. The problem here is that the TCCM may not like it if the front axle is engaged when it does not want it to be.

Plus, you could go through all of that work and not have it be the front axle engagement after all. Since you have done no diagnostics, you really have no idea what the fault is. It could be the front axle actuator, the vacuum supply to the actuator, the cable from the actuator to the axle, or the vacuum solenoid on the firewall. You need to step through the process which the TCCM takes to engage 4wd and see what does not work or what does not happen.

Do any other modes work?

Old 02-19-2009, 04:12 AM

I can hear the TCCM click on the passenger side when i press to go from 2wd to 4wd. However on the transfer display case the light will flash when any of the 4wd modes are attempted to be selected but then it clicks again and returns itself to 2wd.

As i need to order parts from the US it would be cheaper for me to order and replace pretty much everything than keep ordering odd bits and keep getting hit for heavy shipping/customs etc.

is there any chance someone could tell me everything that i would need to cover all steps to get the 4wd working again. i.e. actuator, number of cables reqd etc.

thanks again for all your help

Old 02-19-2009, 05:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want help in replacing only what needs replacing or are you only interested in throwing all the parts at it that you can? Replacing ALL of the components is a sure way to fix the problem, however, it will not be kind to your wallet and is just a waste in my opinion.

Do you have any Chevrolet dealers in the area that can scan the TCCM for codes (requires a Tech 2 or equivalent scan tool)?