Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

HELP! 1993 S10 Blazer, 2WD, passenger side lower ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Starting Member
Slyldog1227 is on a distinguished road
Default HELP! 1993 S10 Blazer, 2WD, passenger side lower ball joint

4.3L, V6. I'm trying to replace the ball joints on the passenger side. I got the uppers removed and replaced. But the lower I am having trouble with. I bought a replacement from NAPA, this one.. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCZ2601130?ref=MA==

It says it's supposed to fit. However, using the ball joint loaner tool I can't get it to press all the way in. It goes in about 1/8 inch, but still appears to need a good 1/2 inch to completely seat. I may be putting it in slightly askew so it may be binding, but it is definitely not pressing in fully and I have tightened the press screw as tight as I can get it. I didn't put any lube on it of any kind before inserting it as the directions didn't call for that. As a matter of fact they didn't mention it at all. I noticed on some of the replacement parts that are supposed to "fits your vehicle", that some of the ball joints are listed as "oversized". Can anyone tell me what that means? Is it possible I am trying to put an "oversized" ball joint into a smaller hole, even though NAPA says it should fit? All the youtube video's I've found only address the 4WD models. I did find one for a 94 camaro that goes in in a similar manner, but this on the video popped right in. Do some of these S10's require some different type of press to seat the ball joint? ANY HELP would be appreciated. I'm a week post-op umbilical hernia trying to do this, so it's been a challenge not to strain too much.

Ken from Mississippi. The new guy

Old 08-05-2018, 12:04 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Have you compared the loaner tool from NAPA to others that might be available, say from Autozone?

Old 08-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Starting Member
Slyldog1227 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply. I popped it back out, cleaned the hole in the lower control arm well with some brake cleaner and steel wool then tried to press it in again. I got it further, almost seated on one side, but it's still going in askew with this kit (which I did get from Autozone) but one side is not seated by about about 1/4 inch. None of the cups or attachments sits on the upper rim of the control arm really smoothly at the perfect angle obviously to allow a perfectly straight alignment once you start to press it in. I've stopped the attempt any further, returned this set to Auto Zone and waiting for the set from O'Reileys to come in tomorrow. Maybe it will be a different brand of tool with some cups that seem to be a better fit for this application. My neighbor, a shade tree mechanic, mentioned to me this morning something about placing a bottle jack under the balljoint and using a sledge on the control arm to bang it down and hammer it home. I don't know how well that will work though.