Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

HELP rear differential questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Twonpablo is on a distinguished road
Default HELP rear differential questions

so....here is the deal k5 blazer 84 built motor 10 bolt rear 35s. pretty standard. well here is what happend.

there was a crappy flame sticker on the diff cover so i took it off when i bought it. about a week later noticed fluid coming out of a hole that the sticker was covering up. went out and bought a new cover and new syn fluid. all was fine. WHen i pulled the cover off the ring gear had a single broken tooth but that was it. it had begun to whine and was completely out of fluid btw.

after the process had no ill affects except if i kicked it while turning you can feel the ring gear not line up. its that jerky every 8 foot feeling. but beside that no biggie. now take a look at the pic. its like the cover is too small.

i know nothing about difs so any advice is much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails HELP rear differential questions-cimg0051.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

One broken tooth is more than enough to allow the pinion to start eating the ring gear & vise verse. Those dents are likely caused by more teeth coming off and being tossed around inside the diff.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Twonpablo is on a distinguished road

thank you for the response. so new pinion and ring gear yeah? is that hard to put it? do i have to replace all the bearings and stuff? basically, if it was your vehicle what would you do next? Again thank you i really am kinda daunted so your help is invaluable

Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You would need to replace all of the bearings. The difficult part isn't in putting those things in, it is in getting all of the clearances set properly. You can run a Google search for "how to install a ring & pinion" and you should get the gist of what's necessary. Some very specialized tooling is required to do it correctly.

If it were me, I would replace these components myself, but I've done it before and have some of the tools required and access to everything necessary after a phone call or two.