Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

horrible front end noises

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Beginning Member
wwilly1968 is on a distinguished road
Default horrible front end noises

hey all ok i have replaced upper and lower ball joints,replaced upper control arm bushings... and iam still getting horrible clunking noises from front end not all the time but mostly in back country when iam on rough and bumpy ummm nasty roads for lack of better words... question how does one know when your lower control arm bushings are bad ?? or even when the front sway bar bushings are bad ?? there are bushings in sway bar i can see them they dont appear to be missing or bad no cracks or nothing... there does appear to be some space between the points where the lower control arms connect to the frame,, does this mean there bad ??? iam lost.. and the noise is very irritating and kina scary to say the least..... and i do alot of off roading so i would like to get this fixed asap cause it detours me from going in the rough country.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks..

Last edited by wwilly1968; 11-08-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 11-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked the shock mount points? I had a clunking noise in my old '00 Bravada after I replaced the shocks. Turned out to be the top mounts which had been torqued to spec, but still had some play. Torqued them down even tighter and it went away.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

yours sounds louder than this, but it took me forever to figure out by brake pins and bushings were toast and rattled like crazy going down a dirt road.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Beginning Member

k well i put the breaker bar to this morning and put enough mustard on em i was scared they were going to snap to her for a ride up a hill side rather uneven and rough and still got the noise.. another one down, any more ideas... ????

yea i dont have a rattle i have a major cluclunk its about to drive me insane like i mentioned in my post how \do ya tell if lower control arm bushings are bad??? i mean this blazer is now 22 years old and since i have had it i have done alot alot of muddin and back hills runnin.. so ya think these could be the culpret.. my pitmant and all the other linkage in there is due to be changed but i dont think that is what is causeing these noises...????

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 11-07-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

usually with control arms you can look at them and tell if they are bad. if theres still pleanty of rubber in there they shouldnt make noise. how rusted is your body? ive owned some rotted trucks in my day with bad or broken body mounts or mounting areas that bang around on bumpy roads

Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Beginning Member

my body is has seen better days but i looked all around at the body mounts and surprisingly they look goos still got rubber in them and no signs of rustin through.. well i took some random pics of the lower control arms and such will try and post em if forum will let me if not i will post them in my garage.. maybe you all can take a look and let me know what ya think.... ok i put quit a few random pics in my garage of my front end control arms and sway and just randome of most bushings i could see.. please take a look and let me know if anything looks worn.. thanks once again..... sorry for all the trouble i just cant take the noise any longer iam ready to just replace everything up under there and around the whole front end... ok just read another thread about front end clunking torshion bar mounts ??? could this be my culprit. ??? and how do ya know if there broke ????

Last edited by wwilly1968; 11-08-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Beginning Member
Default horrible noise in front end

ok so doin some pre maint today i crawled all over underneath the ol girl and maybe found my cause for my noise..... front axle mount bushings?? and they dont look fun to replace. could this be a good reason for clunking noise ????

Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

To me it sounds like your torsion bar mounts are bad .

Old 11-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Beginning Member

well after reading another thread about a gentleman who had that problem... i invesigated and my mounts are good... everything is tight...

Old 11-11-2010, 04:38 PM
BoxersRule is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem (besides a a bad wheel bearing) and found out it was... the drivers door pins were worn out. Sounded like the front end rattling. Its easy to test, open the door and lift it up & down, if there's a lot of play in the door that might be it. Your local auto parts store will have the pins & spring compressors to replace it. Cheap job that's a real PITA to do.

Quick Reply: horrible front end noises