Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

How can i find out if i got sagging torsion bars ?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about
Default How can i find out if i got sagging torsion bars ?

Well I'm going to be installing my shackles and be doing my 1.5 inch tbar crank . How can i find out if i got sagging torsion bars ?

I dont wanna crank them then my 31 inch tires are gonna rub

is there a way to see if there sagging? the truck rides great and the bolts are even with the cross member.

also this is for my 1992 s10 blazer Edit: The truck has 137k miles on her
Thanks for reading

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 08-03-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Beginning Member
Hightec1 is on a distinguished road

I never heard of a torsion bar sagging? If the blazer is sagging or not level it could be a broken leaf or rotted/broken rear shackle.When i adjust torsion bars i count how many turns then mark it on the cross member in case i need to turn them back.If the blazer is level you can measure each fender/quarter panel in the center to ground to see where your starting from.Measure it before and after to see how much you lifted it.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Torsion bars definitely can weaken. Typically it is the passenger side that does it more often and that is likely due to the heat from the exhaust/catalytic converter.

About the only way to tell is if your adjusting bolts are almost all the way in.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Torsion bars definitely can weaken. Typically it is the passenger side that does it more often and that is likely due to the heat from the exhaust/catalytic converter.

About the only way to tell is if your adjusting bolts are almost all the way in.
i dont think there all the way in but thanks

i know the heads are even with the cross member

Old 08-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Beginning Member
weazel is on a distinguished road

Mine were definetly weak. I had front suspension that rode like a 70's boat down the road. Very weird to drive and what not. It took me replacing almost every suspension piece on the front end figure it out. Really sucked to put money into it like that!!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by weazel
Mine were definetly weak. I had front suspension that rode like a 70's boat down the road. Very weird to drive and what not. It took me replacing almost every suspension piece on the front end figure it out. Really sucked to put money into it like that!!
were your torsion bolt heads even with the cross member ?

my truck looks level and also if i put a level on it its on the spot i just hope i don't run into problems cranking them

Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Beginning Member
weazel is on a distinguished road

No, my bolts were slightly lower than the cross member they mount in! I think that each vehicle is different as to what the bolt distance is going to be. I thought my truck also looked level. Looks can be deceiving!!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:10 PM
BF Guru

i guess i need to hope for the best

Edit: also when i do the lift should i start with the tbars ? or the shackles?

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 08-03-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Shouldn't make a difference which is done first. tbars will most likely be easier, make sure you set aside time for the shackles because some people have had a pretty hard time getting the shackle bolts out.

Plus 31's will certainly fit in the back, might not be a bad idea to do the tbars first just to make sure the tires fit alright before getting too far along

Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
Shouldn't make a difference which is done first. tbars will most likely be easier, make sure you set aside time for the shackles because some people have had a pretty hard time getting the shackle bolts out.

Plus 31's will certainly fit in the back, might not be a bad idea to do the tbars first just to make sure the tires fit alright before getting too far along

Yes i know also imma bang them out with a air hammer i shouldnt have much trouble