Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Sagging torsion Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Beginning Member
OH_VDUB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sagging torsion Bars

The vehicle in question is a 96 Blazer, a few months ago I replaced my front shocks because they were leaking. And now if feels like when I hit a pot hole like its bottoming out. When I look at the control arms I notice that the bump stops are warn out. Just wanted to know should I replace my torsion bar or adjust then, they are not cracked or broken from what I"ve noticed. I will be replacing the front shocks again. THANX

Old 02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

the bump stops on mine a in bad shap also, but no nasty noises on bumps, you could take a look at the torsion bar adjuster bolts to see if there is any room to adjust, i would also check the body hight from one side to the other, if one side is a different measurment then try the t-bar adjuster on the low side, but i have no clue to what a sagging t-bar would feel like.... i have had a shock loosten on the upper mount and have a nasty sound.. i thought it was major front end work due..
Robert

Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

Mine on a 97 were sagging, one side more than the other. Turning the low side "in" will bring it back, if you have the room on the bolt. I just measured an edge of the wheel rim to fender, parked on a VERY level surface. I got the tool for it, so I could do it on the ground. If you don't have the tbar tool, jack the front so it takes weight off the bolts before you turn them. Then move the vehicle at least it's own length to settle the suspension before measuring.

You MAY need an alignment after!

I was bottoming out on this one driveway that it really shouldn't have. Doesn't do it now, even at twice the speed when it did bottom out!

Also found polyurethane bump stops that would screw right in, roughly 2" Dia by 2" Tall, 3/8" stud.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Beginning Member
OH_VDUB is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanx, there a clear difference in the height from the tire to the fender lip from the front to the back. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. And also just checking your saying if I put the vehicle on stand I won't need the special tool to adjust the t-bar screws correct.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Might help clarify things to disconnect sway bar before adjusting ride height.