Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

How Much Should This Work Cost $

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:03 AM
wienerdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Much Should This Work Cost $

Couple weeks ago I bought a 99' Jimmy SLT4x4, 4-door with 79880 miles for $4420+$315 sales tax& title transfer=$4735 total.
A one owner,none smoker,bought new localy. By the slight perfume scent and minimum wear to the leather drivers seat and no visible wear to the leather steering wheel I figure a woman owner. It came with 4 brand new Goodyear Wrangler 235-75tires that are a just abit noisy but its worththe extra grip in snow.

After signing the papers I got it home andup on jack stands andI see the grease has slungout of the wide end of the inner half shaft bootswhich iswhat probably lead tothe very slight intermitten squeek coming frominside one of the leaking boots.
Also thepassenger side upper ball jointis a brand new Moog.The other 3 B-joints have a little up & downplay in them so they will need replaced.
The used car dealer saidthe truck is SOLD AS IS but their GM certified mechanic who has the right toolswill do any work it needs for less than I can find anywhere else.
I asked their mechanic if he could just replace the old clamp with a big worm type hoseclamp? He politly said "No, I don't do stuff like that" Thats a good sign he's a real mechanic.
So, forreplacing:
Both inner half shaft boots that the mechanic says comes with boot, clamps and grease,
2 lower TRW ball joints,
1 upper TRW ball joint
parts and labor will cost me $460.
Is this a decent deal for this work and TRW parts?
If so, I think I'll have him replace the trans tail shaft seal and drivers door hinge bushings because it's beginning to sag.

6 years agoIhad ball joints replaced on my 92' 4x4 Blazer. I don't remember exactly how much it cost but i think it was around $370 for two.

Thanks For Your Time....
Angelo

Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 AM
hooptyfxr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How Much Should This Work Cost $

Hey wienerdog,I'm a MasterASE certified technician.I've worked at dealerships and private repair shops.If he's going to do both inner CV boots,and not the speedy boot with a split in it,and 3 ball joints that is a good price. Check 2 things,make sure he IS certified,and see if he is going to do the alignment afterwards.The alignment is important if you don't want to wear the tires out prematurely.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would say it is a good price as well. And you need to make sure that he is not using the split boots. They suck!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:28 PM
wienerdog is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: wienerdog

Couple weeks ago I bought a 99' Jimmy SLT4x4, 4-door with 79880 miles for $4420+$315 sales tax& title transfer=$4735 total.
A one owner,none smoker,bought new localy. By the slight perfume scent and minimum wear to the leather drivers seat and no visible wear to the leather steering wheel I figure a woman owner. It came with 4 brand new Goodyear Wrangler 235-75tires that are a just abit noisy but its worththe extra grip in snow.

After signing the papers I got it home andup on jack stands andI see the grease has slungout of the wide end of the inner half shaft bootswhich iswhat probably lead tothe very slight intermitten squeek coming frominside one of the leaking boots.
Also thepassenger side upper ball jointis a brand new Moog.The other 3 B-joints have a little up & downplay in them so they will need replaced.
The used car dealer saidthe truck is SOLD AS IS but their GM certified mechanic who has the right toolswill do any work it needs for less than I can find anywhere else.
I asked their mechanic if he could just replace the old clamp with a big worm type hoseclamp? He politly said "No, I don't do stuff like that" Thats a good sign he's a real mechanic.
So, forreplacing:
Both inner half shaft boots that the mechanic says comes with boot, clamps and grease,
2 lower TRW ball joints,
1 upper TRW ball joint
parts and labor will cost me $460.
Is this a decent deal for this work and TRW parts?
If so, I think I'll have him replace the trans tail shaft seal and drivers door hinge bushings because it's beginning to sag.

6 years agoIhad ball joints replaced on my 92' 4x4 Blazer. I don't remember exactly how much it cost but i think it was around $370 for two.

Thanks For Your Time....
Angelo
Ok, the work is done. For $534.91 parts and labor i got one new left side half shaft assm., one new boot on theright side half shaft, 3 new ball joints and new brake pads installed.
No wheel alignment was done.
Unless its my imagination it feels a little darty. On the highway at 60mph seems likethe steering wheel is sensitive to input which makes it darty.And the steering wheelhas to be turned a little to the left forthe vehicle to go straight ahead.
How do you know if it needs an alignment without waiting for abnormal tire wear?
Are there different types of wheel alignments? I want it done right.

Thanks everyone

Old 10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point

take it to a tire warehouse and have it aligned. should belike 50-90 bucks depending on where and what machines they have for the alignment