Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Hub Bearing Assemblies, what brand is best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:51 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Hub Bearing Assemblies, what brand is best?

So I am in the market for some new front 4x4 hub bearings since one of mine seems to be going bad. I have been doing lots of reading on different brands with prices and warranties. I have been looking at the timken ones from Jiggs website since they seem to be the best deal, but I have no idea what is a good quality, long lasting brand.

Therefore I was wondering what the best brand is that people have had experience with? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Hub Bearing Assemblies, what brand is best?

For what it's worth:

I'm running the bearings off of my site on my truck with 1.25" spacers, and 33x12.50 BFG MT KM's with absolutely no problems. They've held together perfectly. I've sold probably 75+ units in the past year, and have had zero complaints.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:07 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Sweet, thats pretty much what I was looking for. Just a nice, tough, reliable part that others have not had problems with, since they arent super cheap.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer Timken.
This link might be of some help.
https://blazerforum.com/m_56421/tm.htm

Old 12-19-2007, 10:37 AM

The ones i was referring to are made by the company that makes Timken's bearings... just not under the Timken brand name [8D]

Old 12-26-2007, 09:52 AM
SD40T2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would go with the Timikin, our '00 Blazer has had an appitite for hub bearings and I have tried most brands and Timikin last the longest. We used to own a '93 Blazer and I NEVER put a bearing in it and we sold it with 278000miles, the '00 has gone through 6 sets in 100000miles and infact I am on my way outside to tear the drivers side apart and fix the bearing yet again. I am considering backdating the hubs, shafts and ABS sensers.It is getting old changing these bearings. The first 4 sets were installed under warrenty and they did not last any longer, what's up with these newer bearings?

Old 12-26-2007, 12:02 PM

Rich,
Do you have aftermarket wheels on your blazer? I have to think that there's something more going on, as even with 33x12.50 MT's and 1.25" spacers, i've only had to change my bearings once in the 140k mile life of the truck.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:38 PM
SD40T2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Truck is all stock daily driver, no off roading,the bearings average 17k lifespan. I was suprized that the bearing I replaced todaywas 1.5 months old and had a catastrophic failier(I think a roller shattered yesterday and killed bearing) without warning, Auto Zone and Napa really love me[:@]. My theory as to why these bearings
go bad is when the integrated the ABS sensors into the bearing they had to reduce the bearing surface to accomodate the speed sensor "gear" thus weakening the bearing. I have worked on trucks for30 years and have never had the problems that I have had with this truck. I am researching back dating the system to the older style where the ABS sensor is mounted on the dust shield not integrated into the bearing, I will have to change CV chafts also, I am close to a "pick-n-pull" junk yard and getting good used componants to make the switch will cost about $100. Like I stated in my earlier post I had a '93 and never did a thing to the front end and it had 278000 miles on it when we sold it I also have a '89 and same thing no front end work at all and it's currently at 178000, love these trucks but this one is trying my paintence,I might add that I have replaced CV shafts when I installed this bearing a 1.5 months ago thinking that MAYBE there was a problem there. I am open to suggestions.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Timken, and if ya pm me, i might be able to get ya a break on them. Shot me a pm with your truck info and I will see what I can do.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 PM

Rich, What are you torque-ing the axle nut down to? Over or under torquing will lead to failure of the bearings.

Quick Reply: Hub Bearing Assemblies, what brand is best?