Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

I want to Ride on a cloud

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Beginning Member
NHRABill is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
make sure you measure them

they have 2 different sizes
Thanks for the heads up.

I went on pure luck a few different places had them Advanced auto Moog worked well and I also scored some 9/16 grade 8 bolts at Lowes of all places. bushings fit like a glove and new bolts washers and nut are torqued into place. Shocks will be here Tuesday, I get to do that then a torsion bar tweak to level truck out right now I am 35.5" on drivers side 35" on passenger and a steady 36"across the back. I may not be measuring the proper way but I marked the ground and will be consistent in my attempt to level.

After all is set and done Grease and clean the underneath replace anything bad and finally get a alignment. All of this is not easy but worth it, I will have years of light maintenance and worry free driving.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:54 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NHRABill
Thanks for the heads up.

I went on pure luck a few different places had them Advanced auto Moog worked well and I also scored some 9/16 grade 8 bolts at Lowes of all places. bushings fit like a glove and new bolts washers and nut are torqued into place. Shocks will be here Tuesday, I get to do that then a torsion bar tweak to level truck out right now I am 35.5" on drivers side 35" on passenger and a steady 36"across the back. I may not be measuring the proper way but I marked the ground and will be consistent in my attempt to level.
I read back but still lost.. bolts for what?
Just remember to check/adjust ride height with sways disconnected one side. Where measured doesnt matter as much as symmetry and same location each time.
After all is set and done Grease and clean the underneath replace anything bad and finally get a alignment. All of this is not easy but worth it, I will have years of light maintenance and worry free driving.
Yeah.. we all dream of that. But if you appreciate her, she will respond sooner or later. You know she has when the major fails occur in driveway or else most convenient place possible.

Back in the old days of the dreaded Ford TFI {ign module} fail, my trusty SVO's TFI died of heat soak two doors down from Autozone.
$20 for a Wells, $5 for the special tool.. 10 minutes total I was back on the road.

Then research on the Stang newsgroup. Trip to junkyard for couple of used Motorcrafts with grease still on them for another $20, toss the Wells TFI in the junk box and I was set.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Beginning Member

Well I replaced all the shocks today with a set of Sensa trac Monroes. I haven't the chance to do some real driving yet so verdict is still out of course I want to say they are better in my 2 mile test drive but need to be realistic here.

The old Bilstiens are in better shape than expected must have been replaced some time ago. Plenty of rebound and resistance still into the swap meet pile they go unless someone on here is interested?

I did find that my sway bar end link on drivers side is done for so that will need to be replaced most all else appears ok but as we all know one fix uncovers another. muffler and tailpipe replacement is on deck after end link is done. Then a T bar leveling out they are set uneven and the blazer has a slight lean. think I will mess with that last once I am sure nothing else is worn out.

New life for an old beat ZR2

Old 04-03-2012, 10:50 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I still have the stock Bilsteins on my ZR2 and they are over 11 years old and have 213,XXX miles on them. Haven't found a reason to replace them yet.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Beginning Member

Yup these are the shocks for me what a big difference. The Monroes are smooth and hitting pot hole filled streets I no longer have the ABS kicking on from the rough bounce of the bilstiens. I am sure I can still handle the light off roading I do with no issues.

I also did the Sway bar end links today with a like new set of energy suspensions that I scored for $10 bucks at the salvage yard along with other odds and ends

Sent my Monroe $40 rebate in and after I get that back the entire set will have cost me $42 including shipping. What a Deal Amazon rules.

I Will take some photos cause if I don't it didn't happen

Old 04-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Irocz327 will become famous soon enough

I don't know how you would do it with out a lot of modding but you could install a "Bose Suspension Sys."
bose suspension <-this ones like a truck drivers seat..
Bose Suspension - YouTube <- replaces all the shocks/struts.

I know they use to put this sys. in some of the newer caddies ( my buddy's grandpa had it in he's CT-S (if I remember the right model). He said it was like riding on a cloud.. lol)

Old 04-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Irocz327
I don't know how you would do it with out a lot of modding but you could install a "Bose Suspension Sys."

I know they use to put this sys. in some of the newer caddies ( my buddy's grandpa had it in he's CT-S (if I remember the right model). He said it was like riding on a cloud.. lol)
Can that even be implemented in a blazer? That is simply amazing either way though