Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Idler Arm and Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member
ClueMeIn1989 is on a distinguished road
Default Idler Arm and Alignment Question

I went to have an alignment today on my 1994 s10 blazer 4x4, I told the mechanic that my steering was off a little and how I have to hold the wheel to the right a couple inches in order to keep the truck straight.

He checks my truck out and tells me that there is some play in the Idler arm, which he showed me. We ended up rotating the tires and regulating the tire pressure and that was it..... no alignment.

My question is, when I do get the alignment, do you recommend replacing the Idler arm before hand or will it matter that much if I leave it be (also save money) and just have the alignment done???

Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it has some slop, definitely replace it before your next alignment.

How does it drive now that you have rotated the tires and properly inflated the tires?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Beginning Member

Well the ride is definatley not stiff anymore, and I was told the tires were aging well and looked good, but the steering is still off- with some slop. I'm holding the wheel at about the 1 O'Clock to 2 O'Clock position.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The alignment will likely cause $60 or more. It would have to be repeated if you were to replace the idler arm shortly after an alignment so you might as well save the $60 for the first alignment and get it all done at once.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Beginning Member

True, True, I think thats probably what I'll end up doing then. I think the total estimate was about $208 after labor and parts, so not too terribly bad. I appreciate the help! Thanks!