Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

idler arm of death

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Beginning Member
habafab is on a distinguished road
Default idler arm of death

So i have had my 98 2 door for about 2 years now and i have replaced the idler arm 28 times (yes about once a month)( and iv had every brand known they all go around the 1 month mark) i have changed EVERYTHING in the front end had it aligned everything, i switched it back to stock height and stock tires still blows them at the same rate, iv avoided potholes off roading everything you can think of yet idler arms still blow like no tomorrow, any ideas on a fix? Thanks for the help cause even my local chevy dealer hasnt the slightest clue

Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Look into the 1 ton idler upgrade you can buy a kit from synergy off-road. It's not cheap but it will fix your problem.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Beginning Member

Awesome do you know what the kits called like what its off of?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough
Old 01-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Beginning Member

Your awesome. I thoight about putting a steering stabilizer on it to hopefully help thoughts?

Old 01-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Stabilizer shouldn't hurt, but I doubt it would help save the idler at all. I'm planning on ordering the bracket at some point as well.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:45 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

If you want to hold off buying a bracket, I'm building one and should have it done in a month or two and can let you know how it works. I'll be more than happy to send you the dimensions if you want to try to make one yourself (once I figure out if the design is safe and reliable). For what they are, they seem a bit overpriced. So far I have about 3 hours invested in it between doing the math for dimensions as well as some cutting and welding of materials. It's not close to done yet but it's started at least.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:19 PM
div
div is on a distinguished road

I agree. I'd love to have one but $370 for chunk of steel, that is just ridiculous.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member
DTS77 is on a distinguished road

im also having this problem and if you didnt mind when you figured it out for yourself i have a friend whos a welder and would greatly appreciate you sending me specs as well if you didnt mind

Old 03-03-2015, 09:41 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I've been working on house projects lately since it's still pretty cold here. Temps should start coming up in the next couple weeks so hopfully I can get to it. I look at the bracket every day on my toolbox so it's not forgotten. I'm just not a fan of laying on concrete that is below freezing if I don't absolutely have to.
It is on my warm weather list along with repairing the window regulator and troubleshooting the fuel system.

Last edited by TZFBird; 03-03-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply: idler arm of death