Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

I'm stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 01:39 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road
Default I'm stumped

I had the steering wheel turned about 1/8 turn CCW when driving straight. Went through the whole system and it is all new or rebuilt except for inner/outer rod ends which do not show any wear. I set toe within spec while the steering wheel is centered. Took it for a drive and now it's 1/8 turn CW. Drives great otherwise though. I do need to verify camber and caster again once I get this toe issue figured out. Any ideas?

Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 AM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

So steering gear was replaced too?..And coupler/ujoint?.. is there too much slack in the gear maybe?...but 1/8 of a turn in the steering wheel either way seems extreme

Last edited by cubawashere; 04-20-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:31 AM

Steering gear and pump were rebuilt while I had them out to do the pitman arm. Rag joint was replaced and everything is TIGHT compared to the sloppy mess before. I had to make an 1/8 turn in the steering wheel before the vehicle would make a direction change.
Control arm bushings and ball joints replaced also. I'm going to start with getting the camber set because I at lest know the toe is relatively close. This isn't a deal breaker to have it this way but just annoying.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by TZFBird
I had to make an 1/8 turn in the steering wheel before the vehicle would make a direction change.
Wow, yeah is the that is way too much slack.

I figured you did specifically change all the other pivots and joints. I understand it's not a deal breaker, but after doing all that work and spending all that cash, it would be nice to at least get improvement.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I believe there is an adjusting screw on the gear box itself. The factory service manual has the adjustment procedure.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

how are the tires up front?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 PM

The steering is tight and with the front jacked up I can only move the wheel against the steering wheel lock. There is no deflection at any other point.
I previously set toe with the wheels on the ground. I'm going to try again with the fronts lifted bit. I know it's not the right way to do it but I don't understand what is going on to cause this problem.
The tires are decent. I guess I could start taking measurements off the rims instead of the sidewalks like I have been doing.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Starting Member

I'm interested very much on the outcome.... hope to hear some positive results! Or good news, and found an underlying issue behind it.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 PM

I reset toe again. This time with the front off the ground. I have yet to get it out of the garage. I'll see what happens when I throw 600lb of concrete blocks in it.
EDIT: worked out great so far and wheels look straight to the eye after pulling out of the garage. It's good unless I post otherwise.

Last edited by TZFBird; 04-23-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Scratch that. This thing sucks. I can live with it I suppose. At least it drives better though. If anything changes I'll just link to this thread in the future.
Setting toe with the wheels off the ground was easier and helped some. Who knows maybe it's just the tires and the crown in the road.

Quick Reply: I'm stumped