Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Jeep Cherokee Steering Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

@Gitch. Sounds like you only did half the job, unless I misunderstand. There is a prob with the column to tulip , as the jeep is too small to go over the Blazers column.

@Tibby. Where are those markings located. I think I have the box but it could be the varible ratio.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:34 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by LeWhite
@Gitch. Sounds like you only did half the job, unless I misunderstand. There is a prob with the column to tulip , as the jeep is too small to go over the Blazers column.

@Tibby. Where are those markings located. I think I have the box but it could be the varible ratio.
Do you know what that gear box came out of? Make, model, trim?

Edit: Instead of all the work involved in a Cherokee shaft, why not do the flaming river u-joint mod? It's a lot easier and no more rag joint piece of rubber to keep deteriorating. Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited by tibby; 04-18-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

@Tibby dont know origins of box. With deferment to the OP what is involved with Flaming River

Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Default .

Originally Posted by LeWhite
@Tibby dont know origins of box. With deferment to the OP what is involved with Flaming River
First off, I don't know if they will have visible markings on them or not. Some might, but I'm not exactly sure. Although I think a 1988 Chevy Monte Carlo SS gear box is one of the cheapest on Rock Auto. Make sure you get the one with the sport package.

HOW TO: Flaming River U-Joint Steering MOD

Years: 94+ S10/Blazer
Time: 30min-1.5hr
Cost: $70-100
Parts Needed:
Flaming River U-Joint # FR1746DD
S-Series steering shaft (1st or 2nd Gen)
LockTite Thread Locker
Hacksaw or other tool to cut thin steel
Dremel or Cut off-wheel
11mm socket/wrench
½†socket/wrench
4mm Allen wrench
Flathead Screwdriver
Hammer
Drill and Bits

The purpose of this mod is to reduce the sloppy/loose feeling of the stock rag joint. After I did this mod it almost completely removed the play in the steering.

Link below describes process

This

Last edited by tibby; 04-18-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Beginning Member
NateDG is on a distinguished road

Again, that doesn't alleviate the tulip joint only the rag joint. I don't know for sure but I've heard that tulip joint causes problems too. The rubber right at the fire wall. Does anyone know if there is a replacement that gets rid of both of these joints? Preferably a direct fit without cutting/grinding/welding?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Default .

Originally Posted by NateDG
Again, that doesn't alleviate the tulip joint only the rag joint. I don't know for sure but I've heard that tulip joint causes problems too. The rubber right at the fire wall. Does anyone know if there is a replacement that gets rid of both of these joints? Preferably a direct fit without cutting/grinding/welding?
Don't knock it before you try it. The rag joint seems to be the problem. Haven't heard of any problems from the tulip joint on this forum before. Unless you want to cut up a Cherokee shaft, you either can do the flaming river steering mod and/or get a quick ratio steering box from a late model. Personally, I think it's a lot less work to do the flaming river mod.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

i installed it right the stock jeep steering shaft was loose inside the stock jimmy shaft and what i did was weld the jeep u joint to the end of the stock jimmy shaft. works perfectly

Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Beginning Member
Jake--Blazer is on a distinguished road

Glitch-- Thats great it it worked for you by welding up your stock shaft to the jeep shaft but I was considering an all around simple install for those of use who may not have access to a welder or any other big tools.

I do have some update for all of you that have been waiting for this write up of mine but I honestly will tell you, I have not made a write up because I have not installed the jeep cherokee steering shaft. I mocked it up and it was in a good length for installing. Before I was going to install the shaft I decided I would like to check all components of the steering system and noticed that my idler arm was moving excessively. So I replaced that and my blazer actually drives great with no steering slop.

Here I have some pictures of the jeep shaft is you all were curious of what one I have been working with.

Name:  2013-02-21103858_zpsd50c06ba.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  43.7 KB
<br />
Name:  2013-02-21103821_zps7482a60b.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  34.7 KB
<br />
Name:  2013-02-21103802_zps384d07ec.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  32.4 KB
<br />
Name:  2013-02-21103737_zps455f416a.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  96.7 KB

Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a read here HOW TO: Flaming River U-Joint Steering MOD - S-10 Forum this is what I did to mine. Still has some play so I plan on getting a ZQ8 steering box and putting that in.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member
TOTWM is on a distinguished road

After reading this, I am going to pick-a-part on Friday and grab one as well !!!!!

Quick Reply: Jeep Cherokee Steering Shaft