Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

K5 wheels not turning left?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Adam78 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation K5 wheels not turning left?

Okay, so recently my steering box sheered from the frame, i took it to my mechanic and he welded a frame support/brace in place and threw on a new box and what not. I go to take it home, and the damn thing doesnt seem to turn left, it BARELY turns left at all! It turns right all the way, in fact, maybe too much considering there are 42 inch tires on it. The mechanics already left for the day when i went to pick it up, so i left it there to go back tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone knows what this could be before my mechanic tries to con me out of more money. I typically do work for myself, but i cannot weld, which is why i brought it to them.

I found a similar problem about a jeep, but a lot of guys are saying its the box on that forum, and this is a brand new box and bushings.
Steering Question - Wheel Won't Turn Left.. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
that's the jeep link. When the tires are turned, that's pretty much what mine looks like both ways. Also while trying to K-turn out of there, i heard a clicking sound when cutting the wheel left. Didnt sound too good, but i dont know what it was. Any ideas?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like your mechanic didn't adjust the drag link properly in that it is too long. Either that or the steering box isn't proper for your truck...

The drag link is what connects the pitman arm to the steering knuckle extension. When the wheels are pointing straight ahead, the pitman arm needs to be parallel with the front bumper. At the limits of the steering box travel (moving the steering wheel all the way one way and the other with the drag link disconnected), the pitman arm should move relatively close to the same angle forward and backwards from parallel with the front bumper.

Adjusting the drag link to get the wheels to point straight ahead with the pitman arm parallel to the front bumper will return your steering to "stock" ranges. Doesn't fix the stock inadequacies, but that's a different subject.