Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Leaf-springs needed for alignment?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Blazer 98 is on a distinguished road
Default Leaf-springs needed for alignment?

I had my alignment checked since it was pulling a little bit, I was pretty sure I would need to replace some parts, among the list of parts needing replacement was leaf-springs. Has anybody had a problem like this, or are they trying to rip me off. I also also had a full tank of gas, could this have affected this?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:41 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Eh,if bushings are good,and leafs arent sagging,id say they were pulling your leg. front end is the big deal on these things.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:29 PM

How do I know they are sagging?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

This wouldn't happen to have been a Firestone shop, would it?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:33 PM

No, went to sears auto, been there before for a clunk, they told me it was lower control arm bushing, it was actually the hood hinges. I think I'll go to a couple of other places to see what other places say I need.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Rear ride height plays a part when the front wheel alignment adjustments are made. Both front & rear ride height must be within spec before doing the alignment.... if you want an accurate alignment. When rear springs sag, there is a significant weight shift from front to rear which mainly affects camber and toe, (both affect tire wear). Caster is also affected, but not nearly as much, and it will not affect tire wear. To check rear ride height, the vehicle must be on a level surface. Measure from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the axle bumper bracket. Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada spec is 5.1" to 5.8" If it's less than 5.1" the springs need replacement, and always replace them in pairs.

Front ride height is equally important, it can also cause a weight shift. If a 2WD is out of spec, it needs new springs. If a 4WD is out of spec, it needs the torsion bars adjusted.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 11-12-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 PM

Thanks, I knew the front needs to be correct, it seems like that is a hot topic,(torsion bar crank), but haven't really read much about rear ride hight.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Tough to find a good alignment shop. There used to be a good one in Walker, Mi on the corner of Remembrance rd & Wilson Ave. Taber & Ottenwess spring service, been gone for 20 or more years though. I lived in the GR area for 30+ years and moved here about 10 years ago. Look around for an independent shop, (not a tire store, muffler shop or dealership). Some place that specializes in alignments and suspension.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Thanks, what is the best way to fix (cost and time) the sagging suspension if that is a problem, does AAL work, or is it best to get a used or new set of springs?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Add a leaf is a band aid and not a permanent fix. If rear ride height is out of spec, replace the springs with new ones. Mileage doesn't hurt springs, overloading the vehicle and time are what makes them sag. Leaf springs will typically keep ride height within spec for ~10 to 12 years. 1995 through 2005 rear springs are the same. If you find a 2005 in a boneyard, chances are they're sagged out. OEM springs are rated for 1200#, most aftermarket spring manufacturers offer a 1200# and a 1400# capacity spring. If you like a firm ride, go with the 1400# ones.

EDIT: I was just quoted $525 to replace the springs, shackles and hardware on my 2004 Blazer 4WD. I'll do it myself for around $300.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 11-13-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaf-springs needed for alignment?