Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

List of parts needed for sas swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Starting Member
Dolanjohn1990 is on a distinguished road
Default List of parts needed for sas swap?

Just aquired a 94 ram 1500 with a straight axles. Not good for much but scrap so wanting to rob the axles. How hard would this be to use on a swap. Are there kits for this that use the coils? Id like to get all the parts in order before i start.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:02 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Coils will be a lot harder than leafs, but not impossible. Also, how wide are those axles? Most full size axles are way too wide for a blazer, unless it's off-road only.

Check out the S-10 forum, there's a lot of SAS write ups over there.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Dodge axles aren't usually considered desirable axle for swaps because they have the CAD on them which makes them weaker and harder to repair while on the trail should they break. There is a "kit" available but it is not specifically for that axle and would require heavy modification and fabrication not to mention it comes with a $1200 price tag!. You would have to do a link setup to run the coils which is far more involved and precise than a simple leaf spring setup. My suggestion is the same as Cleburne's go check out s10forums SFA section (especially the stickies) and read through the builds there to see what your getting yourself into and you will likely change your mind on axle choice lol! Most people spend 6-12 months just researching what they need and the best ways to achieve what they want so don't expect anyone to just tell you what you need and how to do it. Every build is different so it's almost impossible to say exactly anyway.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Starting Member

Ive done a good bit of research on using waggy axles, but thenonly thing I guess I dont fully comprehend is how I would hook up the brakes and how I would hook up the steering side of it.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Brakes are nothing more than a couple longer lines and possibly a few adapters unless you want to delete your abs system from the vehicle. Steering depends on what suspension you use. Spring over will require high steer, spring under may or may not and linked may or may not depending on the amount of lift. Then there's also whether or not to use an astro box. If your dead set on using the dodge axles with links forget what you've read about the waggy axles and start over with your research!

Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Starting Member

I know that the waggy axles would be easiest route especially with kits like off road directs kit. Id like to keep the abs if at all possible and spring over would be my preference. The astro box is sitting on my shelf already.i can pretty much knock out the mounting of the axle. Ive never worked with the long arm kits but im sure its gonna have to be custom.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

I know you can keep the abs on a d30 but I don't know of anyone doing it with a d44. I still have all of mine intact and my brakes work fine but I will be doing a master cylinder upgrade and deleting all of the abs components and using an aftermarket prop valve when I get around to it. I would say there is no need to keep abs unless you plan to strictly street drive it.

This https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...%27s-Kit-.html is the only and most complete builders kit for doing a linked SAS on the S-series that I have found but like I said earlier it isn't at all cheap and doesn't come with instructions lol! I am very strongly considering ditching my d44 front in favor of a 3 linked d60 so I have spent about the last month reading builds and looking at pics of anything and everything I can find related to it and there aren't a lot that have done it or at least not a lot that have posted good details regarding it. There is one build on s10forum that is still in the gathering stages but he is doing a custom 3 link with a Dodge D60 up front so perhaps it may help point you in the right direction. 1Tons on a budget - S-10 Forum it also has a couple links to info relating to the dodge axles and their weak points.

To give you reference my truck is on full width d44/14bolt combo and 37s. I used the RC8004 springs up front with one leaf removed and a factory s10 pack with a leaf added in the rear. Right now the frame under the drivers door is at 24" exactly to the ground. I will be switching them to waggy 7 leaf up front and a factory Blazer Z85 pack (possibly with a leaf added) for the rear soon. The RC8004 packs are just a bit to stiff and although it rides awesome on the street and offroad for that matter I want more flex. This will all be to tide me over until I decide whether or not I want to link it. but that gives you an idea of size so you have some direction to head hopefully.

What are you plans for the truck tire size, use of the truck etc?

Last edited by rexmburns; 12-08-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Starting Member

Its my daily and I take it out hitting trails. I was looking towards 34s or 35s. Dont care about mileage as much as ride and functionality.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexmburns
I would say there is no need to keep abs unless you plan to strictly street drive it.
Or you live somewhere where your truck might get inspected and they require you to have it.

If you're just looking for max of 35's without serious off roading, leaf's would suite you just fine. Look through this build thread too, might help some more.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...-75972/page20/

Old 12-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jamaroon
Or you live somewhere where your truck might get inspected and they require you to have it.

This is true! I should have thought of that since I live in a place where it is required but at least here as long as the "abs" AND "brake" lights aren't on at the same time you are good to go. ONe or the other can be on but not both. You can also delete the abs light from the dash. Of course if you live somewhere that actually somehow checks that the abs is functioning properly (not sure how they would but I'm sure there's a way) then you may have an issue.

Quick Reply: List of parts needed for sas swap?