Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Locker options

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road
Default Locker options

So i have a 2001 blazer with 3.42 gears with an open differential, and i've been toying around with the idea of installing a locker as i'll occasionaly offroad and want a better grip. So my options are:
A G80, i imagine it to be cheap, except what work would need to be done to put it into my differential?
or
A powertrax lock right locker, apparently an easy home install except for i hear that i might be rought on road, but on the flip side not too expensive. Does anyone know how it handles on road? And its about $300.
finally
A detroit true trac, if i had the cash i'd do it in a heart beat, good on road manners, but is expensive and need to have a garage install it, so grand total of roughly $1000.
Any help from someone with knowledge regarding this stuff would be a great help.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Starting Member
myprixxx is on a distinguished road

Wow, i was about to ask this same question. Only other thing to cover is, if your not buying a G80 new, and trying to get one out of a junk yard, is there anyway to test it? As i have heard they can go bad and not lock in. Not trying to thread jack, just another thing to think of unless there is a definate way to test. Ok, i am going to sit back and see the responses you get

Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 AM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

The G80 is a good light duty locker, but i don't know how i feel about buying one out of a junkyard. Basically you'd just have to swap your open carrier with the g80, then re set the backlash on the gears. BUT it would suck to go through all the work to find out it doesn't work properly. I don't really know of any way of testing it in the junkyard, other then just turning one wheel and have a buddy hold the other. If it spins both wheels in the same direction its working (technically). But I still wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work right once it was installed.

I believe there is a guy selling re build ones on ebay right now. I have no experience at all with him, but that may be a better choice if you want a factory g80. (or just try an re build it yourself before you install)

As far as the lockrite goes, id look into the powertrax no-slip. Its made by richmond gear just like the lockrite and is their "high end locker". The no-slip is supposed to be just as good as a lockrite, just a lot smoother operating (and quieter) on the street. If i was ever going to install a lunchbox locker this would be the only one i would use. However any lunchbox locker is going to be quirky on the road, they are always locked while torque is being applied (accelerating) and unlocked when there is no torque applied (decelerating).

The tru trac, is just really expensive.. LOL. My friend has one in a 12 bolt and it seems to be holding up to his abuse just fine, and you'd never even know it was there cruisin on the street. This is probably the best option for anything that sees a lot of street use, however its the most expensive by a long shot.

Last edited by KM346; 03-15-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another place to look is Four Wheeler magazine, I have a subscription but they typically sell singles at some auto parts store(for an outragious price) but take a look in the add section. They don't give all models but there are quite a few names of companies that would be more then willing to help you find a right model. Also you can try emailing them or mailing, cause they deal with custom modifications all the time,in the axle department.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Starting Member

after looking at some more information, i think i've ruled out the true trac due to its large pricetag. I've also ruled out the lock-right because its not really designed to be a DD as i want in my blazer. So it comes down to the G80, i think i found a seller with a good reputation, it called dansgears. If i get the G80 I imagine i would have to have a mechanic install it, what do you guys think the average garage might charge for it?
*edit* what size will i need for the G80? ie: bolts, spline, and other stuff i just dont understand.

Last edited by Zanders; 03-15-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I bought my g80 for $38.75, you can get the powertrax automatic locker for $400 or the no slip for $500. you could also go with detriot I think the price range is about the same if you add $100 to powertrax. Ausie also makes lsd's I think they are $500 or so

Last edited by Benedict1337; 03-15-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Starting Member

Will a g80 go into a rear end with an open differential? I know that lockers wont go into a rer end that came with a g80, correct?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:59 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

nope you can put any differential you want as long as its for the GM 7.6 10 bolt 28. The g80 is the differential, so if you have an open diff and want to put in a g80 you have to remove the open differential and put in the g80, or you have a g80 and want to put in a powertrax you remove the g80 and put in the powertrax

Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Starting Member

^ are you telling me that in order to install the G80 all i need to do is remove the open diff. and drop in the G80? I don't need to change/reset some of the "other parts"?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Starting Member

And did you get your G80 for that price rebuilt? or a used one?

Quick Reply: Locker options