Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Lockers vs. Limited Slip

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Bravado is on a distinguished road
Default Lockers vs. Limited Slip

What should I get? I'm in Michigan so we get alot of snow, then we have alot of mud on the trails I use to go fishing and whatnot. With than in mind...should I have limited slip front and rear? or lockers in the rear with limited slip up front? or lockers all the way around? I heard lockers suck in snow....but yea...what do you think?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:54 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I have limited slip ( not sure about up front but I'm guessing it's the same) and we get just as much snow if not more than you guys. With my winter tires and in 4hi, my Blazer's like a tank.

My dad's 2002 Silverado had lockers, with all seasons it was unstoppable too, I don't really notice that much of a difference between the two of them in the snow, mind you the silverado's weight may have helped.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Starting Member
AllEiz0nMe is on a distinguished road

depends really on the locker you get. The locker in the rear of our truck automatically locks and unlocks. Acutally it's coming out because it does not do the job good enough. But they do make selectable lockers, with the flip of a switch you can turn it on and off. Either way if it's bad enough you'll still get stuck. Friend of ours got stuck with a lifted cherokee locked front and rear...lol as did a friend with limited slip. Really depends on the terrain I guess.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

i;d probably go with an air locker or an E-locker so you can disengage it on dry pavement and only have it engaged when you need it.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Bberry20 is on a distinguished road

I would agree with the above post. Had a lot of buddies locked out front and rear and when in 4 hi/lo with the locker up front turning is a bi#%$. I would get an air locker to engage and disengage when wanted but thats just my 2 pennies about it. Either way in back would be fine. Fully locked or not.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Can you even get a locker for the front of the S trucks?

Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

A fulltime (non-selectable) aftermarket locker will "lock" under acceleration. You will then have to learn to let off the gas when cornering or you will eat tires on dry surfaces and slide the rearend in low traction situations. A true locking diff will still get traction to a tire even if the other one is off the ground.
For a dedicated off-road machine I would consider lockers a necessity, for a trail runner it basically comes down to driving preference.