Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

locking diff?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 PM
SPUD XY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default locking diff?

i want to eventuly put a locking rear diff and was wondering if anybody else has done one and if so how much did it cost did u do it yourself and if so how hard was it.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: locking diff?

What do you have in there now and more importantly, what do you drive???

If you currently have an open diff, then it is far easier to install a 'lunchbox' locker (a locker that fits into the open diff casing) as you do not have to setup the rear end again (backlash, engagement, proper pattern, etc). But the typical lunchbox locker is going to ratchet quite a bit and may be annoying if you drive a lot on pavement (not to mention not too nice on tires either).

What do you want to accomplish with this?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:09 PM
SPUD XY is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 2000 blazer lt 4x4 and i dont know what diff it has in it now and there is this hard trail where i live and it is my goal to make it up it people with done up jeeps have a tought time making up it.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 PM
cutlasskid84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 95 s10 blazer 4wd. It had the open diff. I got a used powertrax "lunchbox locker" off ebay and installed it in about an hour. It works great. It's a daily driver that I occasionally take out in the mud. I don't even know it's there. I know a lot of people complain about the ratcheting noise, but I don't hear anything. And I know it works for sure because I've checked with the back wheels off the ground many times, to make sure both wheels spin. So I love mine, and it's easy as heck to put in, if you have the open diff. Just my .02

Old 06-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

An open diff will spin both wheels if they are both off the ground...