Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

loose steering shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default loose steering shaft?

hey guys, another problem started just last night.

when i move my steering wheel left and right(whether parked or driving) i get a click, click click, click every time it goes back and forth and i can feel it in the steering wheel.

also when im driving straight i can hear something in the steering colume vibrating, and i can also feel it a little.

is this a loose steering shaft? and could it possibly be the culprit for my "metal on metal clacking" problem?

thanks.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:27 AM
skotti will become famous soon enough

Is there any play in the steering? common issue is worn out rag joint. will introduce some vibration, and has metal stop tabs that typically dont touch, but once worn out can touch.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:26 PM
BF Veteran

not excessive but it has the "typical" blazer loose steering, yes.

also i noticed it only makes the sound between say 11 and 1 oclock, go past those points and its silent.

really sounds like its right in the colume

Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Beginning Member
Lord_Moore is on a distinguished road

you could check the rag joints, but if they are ok, then i would tighten the slack in the steering gear box. all you have to do is get down to the gear box, and on top of it is a hex nut with an allen head screw inside it *best description i can give on it* break the hex nut free as this is a lock nut. then turn the allen head screw clockwise a 1/4 turn at a time until the steering feels comfortable to you. then tighten the hex head back up and you are good to go. hope this helps.

if you need a better description you can search the forum

Old 05-27-2010, 11:36 PM
BF Veteran

now is this to adjust the "play" or a possible fix to my noise in the steering colume?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:08 AM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

That would take care of the play in the wheel, Not your original problem. If you decide to do this make sure you hold the stud in place with a allen key, Then break the nut loose, So you dont turn the stud backwards and have no idea where you started.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:03 AM
ZachL90 is on a distinguished road

I had this problem in my Suburban, but it had nothing to do with the steering shaft or anything related to it. My problem was the blinker lever. Every time I used the left blinker it would not "delete" itself. You had to manually turn it off. I just had to replace the white plastic cam in the steering column and done! Something else to look into I guess...

Zach

Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran

ok, well here's an update. I can grab the shaft under the hood and wiggle it around up, down, left right and it makes a click, click, click......its loose, and i take it, its not supposed to be, right?

i took it to a trusted (lady) mechanic and she didnt think it was worth fixing, she figures i shouldnt let my jimmy "nickel and dime me"

so am i looking at a repair of this shaft, or total replacement?

does the steering colume need to be disassembled for this?

its quite annoying since i have to hold the wheel at 10-11oclock to go straight and it rattles constantly going down the highway(inside the colume)

Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 AM
BF Veteran

update: So the steering shaft is tight at the bottom (rag joint) and loosest at the top where it goes into the firewall, underneath a black boot.