Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Loud bang heard and felt under truck when backing up

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Loud bang heard and felt under truck when backing up

I don't know how to say this, but if I back up and turn and sometimes forward, I keep getting bang and I can feel it in the floor. Not hard or like an explosion, but I can hear it with the window open. No idea what it can be since it has only done it a few times and recently. But here are some facts from the past few months that I do know.

- Front end is tight as of the end of August when the truck was inspected (the mechanic told me personally that the front end is tight). All ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm and wheel bearings have been replaced recently. Other parts are tight and the last greasing was 2k ago. Only part I can't grease is the top of the idler arm that is bolted to the frame, but I am trying to get a 90 degree fitting that will fit it, but I have had no luck getting one to fit.

- All fluids are full and in good to almost new condition

- 4WD is not causing this since it isn't engaged (transfer case is in 2HI and front axle is unlocked with the Posi-Lok)

- Pinion seal was replaced recently for a second time (vents were clogged) and they checked everything else and it was fine. No play in the bearings.

- Very very rare for any noise to happen when the truck goes into gear. It was more common before I replaced the TPS, but not anymore.

- Tires just replaced with secondhand snow tires and rims (tires had 12/32 left - basically new and rims were off an S-10 in excellent condition).

- Brakes make all sorts of noises, especially when backing up, but no mechanic has found any problem with them and there is plenty of pad left on all 4 wheels.

- I just had the truck in the shop last week to get the water pump replaced and the brakes checked and the shop owner drove it around for a while and found no problems to report.

- Otherwise the truck drives fine aside from some hesitation in the engine or trans, but I expect that for almost 111k.

So what could it be? It primarily happens when backing up when I start to back into a parking space. Don't know if it is only happening in Reverse or if it is also happening in Neutral when backing up because I haven't tried that yet. Typically, I use Neutral to back up if the truck can roll itself backward on it's own so the brakes don't have to fight the reverse gear and the truck's weight.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2011, 03:19 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Mine has a little bit of a bang from time to time. I'm pretty sure it is caused by my cv axle/joint going bad. It isn't constant but just happens when turning. That is the only thing I can think of.

One question for ya. Is it when you first put it in reverse? Or does it do it after you put it in reverse and start moving?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by tibby
Mine has a little bit of a bang from time to time. I'm pretty sure it is caused by my cv axle/joint going bad. It isn't constant but just happens when turning. That is the only thing I can think of.

One question for ya. Is it when you first put it in reverse? Or does it do it after you put it in reverse and start moving?
Both CV axles are only between 2-3 years old and aren't leaking.

After I start moving when I make the turn. It seems that the moving turn causes it. It only very rarely makes noise when it goes into gear, but that isn't the case here.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Check your U-joints on both front and rear driveshafts.... Also balljoints can sometimes bang if they are going bad. I know you said front end is tight but you could always double check. Another thing to check would be motor mounts and trans mount.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mike98Blazer
Check your U-joints on both front and rear driveshafts.... Also balljoints can sometimes bang if they are going bad. I know you said front end is tight but you could always double check. Another thing to check would be motor mounts and trans mount.
2 of the ball joints were replaced in the spring and they were only about 3 years old. One of them was the upper right and for some reason it got so bad so fast that I was able to grab the upper part of the wheel and shake it with the wheel on the ground, but when I went to take it back to the store for the warranty, there was a broken bolt, meaning I think that is the actual cause. How would the turn cause the U-joints to make noise? I didn't notice any issues with them, but how do I check them? Motor mounts are a possibility since I just had the starter replaced and they said that they have to raise the engine off the mounts. How do I check the trans mount? How often do they go?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

if you back up straight does it do it?
if not then take a good look at your front end...if turning and motion are doing it look there.
trans mount is easy....it is at back of tranny at the cross member.
if you have never changed it...well you know.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
if you back up straight does it do it?
if not then take a good look at your front end...if turning and motion are doing it look there.
trans mount is easy....it is at back of tranny at the cross member.
if you have never changed it...well you know.
Only during a reverse turn and now it isn't doing it. I was trying to reproduce the problem but no luck. It seems to only do it after driving it for a while.

There are no obvious problems with the front end that I can tell. Can't tell if it is another wheel bearing because these snow tires are loud.

Never had the trans mount changed before. Could that be the case? How bad of a repair is it if it is broken? What are the consequences if I leave it? When they did my water pump, they actually put it on the lift and I saw them looking at the undercarriage. Would something like that be obvious? I wouldn't expect them to miss anything since they check everything when I take it to the shop.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

the tranny mount is only a couple of bolts.
if it fails then the tranny is not held in place correctly...i wouldnt think tranny though, if it is in combination with turning..
has it started since you put on the tires?? if so then you have a lead.
i always try to think back to last thing i did on my ride when things pop up..you never know.

any rub marks on wheel well?
are you missing any wheel studs or lug nuts?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
the tranny mount is only a couple of bolts.
if it fails then the tranny is not held in place correctly...i wouldnt think tranny though, if it is in combination with turning..
has it started since you put on the tires?? if so then you have a lead.
i always try to think back to last thing i did on my ride when things pop up..you never know.

any rub marks on wheel well?
are you missing any wheel studs or lug nuts?
You may be onto something there. The new tires came before the noise. Originally I bought a set of snow tires that were heavily used and were making driveline noise in 4x4 and had almost no traction, so I got rid of them and bought almost brand new tires (they were 12/32 tread and were off a truck that was sold. Barely used.).

There are no rub marks. They are the same size as the original tires: 235/75R15

All wheel studs and lug nuts are accounted for.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 PM
BF Veteran

did you use the wheels that came with the tires?
in your first post it reads like you did...are one of the holes for the studs rounded out?

".......- Tires just replaced with secondhand snow tires and rims (tires had 12/32 left - basically new and rims were off an S-10 in excellent condition). ...."

thats all i have for now...early day tomorrow.

hope some of that helped ya out.

Quick Reply: Loud bang heard and felt under truck when backing up