Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Loud Creaking Noise From the Front End

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Starting Member
LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Loud Creaking Noise From the Front End

Hi all...I looked back a ways, and couldn't find a thread on it, so here goes:

I have a '96 4x4 with almost 200k miles. The front end squeaks and creaks as it moves up and down. I've had all the bushings and some parts replaced, but the noise always comes back. My shop tells me the front end is just wearing out, and greasing it every month is a hassle. The performance does not seem affected at all...and it's been doing this for years. The t-bars are cranked a little, but not even close to maxed out.

So...what am I looking at here? And...if I'm going to replace all the arms, or even the t-bars, is there a lift kit that comes with new arms, and t-bars so I can at least kill two birds with one stone? I haven't found one yet. Any idea on a price range to replace upper and lower arms and t-bars?

Thanks

Old 03-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Beginning Member
lemon blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you grease ball joints? I had the annoying squeaking, creaking, groaning over every little bump. Should have seen some of the mechanics theories, not one mentioned trying to grease the zerk fitting on ball joints ,but they wanted to try this, replace that etc. After that I have no squeak, if it comes back after about 2 years I regrease and it goes away.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:43 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

yup, check to make sure you are lubed up at all points, i know i my 99 4wd i have 11 points...any haynes - chiltons should help you find them all.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lemon blazer
Did you grease ball joints? I had the annoying squeaking, creaking, groaning over every little bump. Should have seen some of the mechanics theories, not one mentioned trying to grease the zerk fitting on ball joints ,but they wanted to try this, replace that etc. After that I have no squeak, if it comes back after about 2 years I regrease and it goes away.
are you freakin' serious?!?!?

do you not know what "regualrly scheduled maintance" is? you don't lube the front end whenever you feel like it or remember to do it.

i wonder how often you change your oil?

and i'd be willing to put money on this.........if you had of told any of the mechanic's that you've never greased the bj's, tie rods, idler, pitman, drive shaft (if the u-joints have been replaced)-and i say never because you make it sound like this is something new to you, they would've given you one of the wierdest looks, and probably concluded that was a good place to start (among other things).

as to the OP, you mentioned that all of the bushings were replaced (i'm guessing you're talking about the UCA's & the LCA's?) were they lubed prior to reassembley? i've seen some guys tear out their hair 'cause they forgot to do that, trying to "figure out what the problem is now".

and who did the bushing job? i've also seen some people tighten everything up while the truck is in the air, and this causes the suspension to be "pre-loaded" before the weight of the vehicle is back on it, thus changing how the suspension is gonna work.

how long has this squeak been going on?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Starting Member

Yes, they greased everything before, and after installation...the mechanic that did it is a friend of ours, and is very thorough. The squeaking has been going on for probably 5 years...I get it lubed, and it partially goes away...replacing all the bushings didn't kill the noise completely.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You may join my club on this one. I still have not been able to kill the squeak even with regular lubes and siliconing the bushings.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Starting Member

Now...if only I can find a way to convince my wife that all of this will be better with a solid axle swap...even though the price of the swap is about twice what the actual vehicle is worth...

Old 03-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member
lemon blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

[QUOTE=old skool luvr;312983]are you freakin' serious?!?!?

do you not know what "regualrly scheduled maintance" is? you don't lube the front end whenever you feel like it or remember to do it.

and i'd be willing to put money on this.........if you had of told any of the mechanic's that you've never greased the bj's, tie rods, idler, pitman, drive shaft (if the u-joints have been replaced)-and i say never because you make it sound like this is something new to you, they would've given you one of the wierdest looks, and probably concluded that was a good place to start (among other things).

HUH? I can barely comprehend what you typed out? What's regualrly maintance? I actually perform REGULAR preventitive MAINTENANCE, but it's something you probably couldn't understand.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:15 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
are you freakin' serious?!?!?

as to the OP, you mentioned that all of the bushings were replaced (i'm guessing you're talking about the UCA's & the LCA's?) were they lubed prior to reassembley? i've seen some guys tear out their hair 'cause they forgot to do that, trying to "figure out what the problem is now".

and who did the bushing job? i've also seen some people tighten everything up while the truck is in the air, and this causes the suspension to be "pre-loaded" before the weight of the vehicle is back on it, thus changing how the suspension is gonna work.

how long has this squeak been going on?
Originally Posted by lemon blazer
HUH? I can barely comprehend what you typed out? What's regualrly maintance? I actually perform REGULAR preventitive MAINTENANCE, but it's something you probably couldn't understand.
do you really wanna be that much of a nit pickin'.........

brother, you don't even want to go there, and maybe you should re-read you first post that i quoted, and then re-read my post, 'cause my response was bang on for your post. i maintain the service on 7 cars, and on 3 of my 4 personal vehicles, i change the oil every month-regadless of how little miles are put on it. and since my 'Burb hardly see's the road, it gets fresh oil in May when it comes out, another one the begging of August, and one to put it to bed @ the end of October. so i think i know quite a bit more about "regualrly scheduled maintance" than you. but that's just my opinion.

and seriously, how much of a hassle is it to be pumpin' a few shots of grease into your ride when needed, while you're doing an oil change?