Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Metallic noise coming from brakes: Solution found???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Metallic noise coming from brakes: Solution found???

Hey everyone. Starting early last year, I was hearing a metallic noise coming from what seems like the rear brakes that mimics a card in a bicycle spoke noise that was only happening when the brakes get really hot like when in the mountains. I had it checked out several times to make sure it wasn't a caliper not releasing and there was no problems found. When it starts doing it, it would only make noise when the brakes are released, but as they get hotter, it would do it no matter what until it cools. But lately, it has been doing it at lower brake temperatures (even confirmed with an IR thermometer) even just on hills or on freeway offramps or even just in slow stop and go traffic. I would think no biggie since once it cools down it would stop. But today when I had the tires rotated, I had them recheck the brakes in case anything changed and there was nothing real found, but the guy thinks it is the backing plate and the parking brake making the noise. Now, I know the parking brake doesn't work anymore. Probably due to several mechanics trying to drive with it set and it was already worn out. This guy thinks the backing plate is rotted inside (not just the bottoms of it where the right side has a hole) and something is loose in there which is causing the noise. I had him price it out and it was over $500-600, which includes 2 backing plates ($150 each?! and 3 hours labor and he says the axle shafts have to be pulled.). He confirmed there is nothing wrong with the normal brakes. I asked if there was a way to solve what is loose without replacing the plate and he said no. Is he feeding me a line or is this all the truth? I am surprised this is the case after this going on for a year and several mechanics checking it out in that timeframe when it was in there for tire rotations. I was thinking it was just a broken spring, but what else could it be?

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 01-12-2012 at 06:16 PM.