Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Middle steering loose

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Starting Member
Jimmy88 is on a distinguished road
Default Middle steering loose

I have a 97 jimmy, 2 door sls, 4x4.
Has 290000 km (Canadian) on her.

The steering is starting to worry me. Middle steering, and by that I mean when driving straight, there is about 2 inches of play. Any turning of any kind is very tight, almost feels as if its in4 wheel drive, but it's not. It passed an inspection today and the ball joints, tie rod ends, bearings were all changed within the last year. I'm not concerned with the tightness really, just wondering about the play.

Also the suspension is shot if that had anything to do with it. Any ideas ?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:43 AM
Beginning Member
92cabby is on a distinguished road

Rag joint or steering box more than likely. I wouldn't rule out sway bar end links but it usually makes the truck ride like a boat.

First, make sure everything is greased.

Steering box; make sure everything else is still good and tight ( ie; double check everything from the ball joints of the control arms to the pitman itself and everything in between). I checked mine with the skidplate off so it may or may not be possible with it on.
Have a friend unlock the wheel and move it back and forth in that "slop zone." If the box is bad or out of adjustment, the sector shaft will move up and down in the housing when the wheel is turned before there is any translatable left/right movement on the pitman (sector shaft is the splined tooth part that the pitman arm attaches to.)

Rag joint; take off airbox. Reach down and take the cover off (can be done with your fingers, pinch the tabs and split the cover apart, then finagle it off.) You might need a friend on this one, but if your arms are long enough like mine were, it's a DIY project
Just shake the wheel back and forth and see if that piece o' rubber is doing wierd things. Pay attention to the steering shaft and how it relates to the very end where it connects to the box. If you see a problem, take the shaft out and put one end in a vice and on the other side, twist it with Vise Grips. If it flexes real easy, change the joint.

I got the same problem, although I think I'll try adjusting the box first before replacing it. It's just too cold and wet to crawl underneath the truck more than I have to. Another spring/summer project. Annoyning, yes, but drive a little slower and it shouldn't catch you too off guard.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:27 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

^^^what he said,but also check the idler arm. They can do this too,and its not uncommon.