Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Need assistance diagnosing a growl

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 PM
RobM is on a distinguished road
Default Need assistance diagnosing a growl

I've searched for a similar occurance without success so I thought I'd begin a new thread to try and figure out my issue.

I have a 1996 S-10 "W". 157k miles

My issue is after driving for a few minutes, I get a loud growl on the passenger side of the vehicle. It continues until I slow down enough for it to stop. Once I accellerate and after a short period of time it begins again.

The engine is not impacted by the noise - no change in RPM, not change in temp, no roughness so I don't think it is engine related. Engine runs smoothly in park at idle and at higher RPM.

The vehicle is new to me and I initially expected the problem was bearing related so I have changed out the rear axle bearings and the front Hub bearings - even though they turned out not to be the problem, I figured at the current mileage it was only a matter of time before a failure so no harm no foul.

When I bought the Blazer, after a short while I began to hear a small grinding when slowing to a stop. I check fluid levels and the front transfer case/differential was low - it took about 2 pints to fill so it was pretty low - and the grind went away.

I know the next process will be to take the front end apart and inspect the axles, CV joints, etc. but was hoping for a little insight before digging in.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the vehicle 4wd? If so, have a read through this thread and don't let the title fool you:
4wd Front Axle Clicking When in 2HI - Goes Away when in 4HI/4LO

Old 04-07-2011, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at that. Would I get the roar I get instead of clicking were this the cause?

I like easy tests like this one to rule possibilies in and out!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:52 PM

Well, took a look at the vacuum on the 4X4 actuator and it works as expected - no vacuum pressure in 2 HI and pressure as expected in both 4 HI and 4 Lo.

However, I did find out the noise goes away immediately upon pressing the 4 Hi button (while driving in 2 HI). So, I'm now thinking the springs referred to in the other thread you pointed me to are broken or fatigued.....thanks for pointing me there.