Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Need opions on K1500 rear axle rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Beginning Member
mod8521 is on a distinguished road
Default Need opinions on K1500 rear axle rebuild

My rear axle in my 92 is leaking gear lube out the wheel seals. Went to replace seals and the pig is full of shavings. To top it off pinion shaft set screw is snapped off in my carrier. So I am going to have it completely rebuilt.
I want a locker. Went to the local truck shop he said i would hate a detriot locker and should get a trutrac. The truck is a daily driver for now wit plans to be a trail rig. I have read a trutrac sucks offroad. Why? I am looking for input as to which i should get. Could not find a thread with a answer. Thanks

Last edited by mod8521; 07-30-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on what you want to do with your truck. Do you expect to be running large tires anytime in the foreseeable future? If not, then the trutrac will likely suit you well. For a cheaper alternative, you can get a drop in locker that would probably suit you just fine.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:45 AM
Beginning Member

by addiing a locker later do you mean something like a lockright one of the "lockers" you replace the spider gears with?

Old 08-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. They are not as expensive as the full center section lockers.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Beginning Member

With that set screw broke off I am going to have to replace the carrier. Anybody have experience with a truetrac? Is it worth it or should i just go with the detriot locker?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

When in serious off-road predicaments, you will wish you had a true locking differential such as the Detroit locker. The drawback is more tire wear on the street... you gotta learn to let off the accelerator when cornering with a Detroit Locker in order to let the outside tire "follow" around the corner.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Again, you have to be honest with yourself and your intended purpose for your truck. If you are just a casual offroader, then the truetrac will be much nicer overall. If you want a serious offroad truck, then the detroit locker will be what you want to have.

For my K5, I will be going with a selectable locker, one that I can turn on and off. I still have not decided on a cable, air, or electronic actuated locker yet though. I will be putting a locker in front and back.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for your answers. I think I will be putting a truetrac in. Since the truck only has a 3.42 gear i am going to a 3.73 when I rebuild it. When I have the front done I think I am going to have a Eaton elocker put in.