Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

New carbon ceramic pads in may, wore down already????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Beginning Member
farley463 is on a distinguished road
Default New carbon ceramic pads in may, wore down already????

So last may we were having a problem with brake noise from the front left, so i tore the wheel off and found the pad closest to the motor was worn down almost to bare metal, but the other pads were fine. Not thinking, I threw it back together, went down to autozone, got a set of duralast gold carbon ceramic brake pads (I only get the best for my baby ) threw em on and all was good. Well, 10 months later and the damn wear indicator was screeching again, same pad. So now this time what I did was I just threw on one of the pads that I took off in may (all the others were good, and the one I put on still had plenty of pad left to it). Since I threw a thicker pad back on I had to push the caliper pistons back in, did that, greased the slide pins and threw it back together. I had a friend watch the caliper while I was pumping the brakes back up, and we both noticed it took alot of pumping the brake pedal to get the caliper back to where the pads can clamp the rotor (10-15 times). I'm thinkin either I got a bad line or a bad caliper, how bout you guys?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

i agree.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Replace the flex line.
BTW.. this is why I retract pistons by hand {or with a pry} instead of a c-clamp!

Here's the problem, though. If the caliper is sliding right, there's no way just the inner pad can wear that much. Doesnt matter if the line is blocked or caliper is sticking, both pads should wear the same.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:39 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

By now you may need new rotors aswell. I would start by replacing the caliper, make sure you grease the slide pins and metal clips and bleed the brakes afterwards.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Calipers are only like $13 for remans. go ahead and buy new front brake hoses,calipers,rotors turned,brakes and a bottle of fluid.

No more front brake issues for less then $100

Old 10-29-2012, 03:07 AM
Starting Member
jammerchell is on a distinguished road

First when I started my hobby of metal detecting, I do not know that there is a device called metal detector that can help me to have easier access to the gold metal and helps me sava time, then one of my friends told me about this device, I am so curious and want to find a good equippment to help me so I search the internet and find the one that I am satisfied and by now everything goes on well and I have find some gold coins by using such kind of gold metal detector.