Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

New shocks...but not installed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Starting Member
99LS4x4ryanlw is on a distinguished road
Default New shocks...but not installed...

I have bought a new set of Rancho RS5000 shocks for my 99 Blazer LS 4x4 and opened them up today. For one (call me lazy I guess...) I have no idea what the stock shocks look like (never had time to look, and my parent's don't know about the new shocks, but that isn't relevant to my question), all I know is that they need replaced because of the boat ride I get every time I drive it, and I am not sure if the Ranchos are just ready to be installed. I have seen shock installation videos of S-10 pickups, but never one of a 99 Blazer. The Ranchos only have a hole on each end of the shock, nothing else. (btw, I only opened up one box...and I realize, at least from what I have seen, the front should be different from the back) I was just wondering what the shocks should look like and if I would have to do anything special to put the Ranchos in myself.
Thanks!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

The front shocks have a T on each end with a horizontal hole for the bolts
front: not to scale
____| |______
______________ <-hole for bolt

the rear are a bit different with a hole in the bottom like the front but the top is a a pole that has 2 bolts that go into the frame:
rear: not to scale
^ ^
|_______| <----top bolts that go up
.....| |
.....| | <----shock shaft "....." are for spacing they mean nothing
.....| |
___| |___
________ <----hole for bolt at bottom

check here for the front http://chevrolet-car-parts.macautopa...198&id=3534523

check this pic for the rear, note the left side http://di106.shoppingshadow.com/imag...49x149-0-0.jpg

replaced mine about 7k ago and front was easy but the rear had to use a air chisel to cut the metal on the bottom of the shocks, a impact would not do it because the give in the bushing.
I replaced the stocks with monroe reflex that were quit a bit thicker and fits just fine, good to have any extra person to help.

Last edited by Karcinagin; 04-20-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Starting Member
99LS4x4ryanlw is on a distinguished road

awesome, thanks. I ended up opening one of the fronts and was like, "oh ****, this isn't like what I saw for an S10..." and and very glad to hear that the blazer has a different design. I really appreciate the information!!!
Thanks again!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 AM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

i love my ranco 9000xl shocks.. at first i called it in because there was no rebound and they said it is the make of the shock. they are sweet. fit just fine. except the front where i needed washers to fill in the gap of the housing because its loose.