Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Newbie 4x4 question to the 'pros'....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
HWY1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie 4x4 question to the 'pros'....

I bought a sweet 2000 Chevy Blazer last April from a car dealer in Bklyn, N.Y. (who turned out to be a realpiece of garbagelowlife!![:@]) In spite of the dealer the truck runs excellent. This is my first 4x4truck.When I bought it (after the lemon law trial period of couse!) I tried to use the 4x4 function and it didn't work. My mechanic told me it was the encoder motor. Fast forward 'til last week.
So after replacing the encoder motor and tracing out a short in the wire harness....I FINALLY have 4x4!!

With the recent snow here in Jersey, I had the perfect opportunity to test her out. Only about 2 inches or so, not much yet!

I press the 4HI button, it blinks several times and then stops, 4HI lit. (and I DID notice an improved traction)

Here's the question: Is this supposed to be such a quiet transaction? I didn't hear a peep; such as gears engaging or such.

Again...traction was there....so I believe that it's working. I gave her some gas in 2HI and she fishtailed; I put her back in 4HI, gave her some gas and NO fishtailing.

Areall of your Blazers this quiet when engaging the 4x4 function?

(Just for the record....4.3L V6, 4 button 4x4 panel)

Old 01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Beginning Member
jayfourn8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Newbie 4x4 question to the 'pros'....

If youre not under power (i.e. accelerating or slipping, or in my case under compression because I have a manual) yes, the transition is almost undetectable. "On the fly" shifting is wonderful.
If you hear anything it would just be a little bump noise when it disengages or engages but you have to listen for it.

This being said - its never good to shift in or out of 4 while you are accelerating hard or if your tires are already slipping. You will then hear noises you dont want to hear.

Congrats on the 4x4. Its great!
Have fun!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Newbie 4x4 question to the 'pros'....

Sounds normal... 4LO is typically a bit louder though.