Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

no 4x4 or control over heater blower. related?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:04 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough
Default no 4x4 or control over heater blower. related?

okay. so right before the first major snow storm i realized that my vacuum actuator had a torn seal so i put a new one in and veolia, i had 4x4. after taking apart my dash one day i realized that i had no control over the heater motor. i could either choose off or have it on the feet and defroster. nothing else. and i could change the speed. every other option i choose makes a hissing noise as if there was a vacuum leak behind the dash. i took it apart the other day and found out that only one of the little holes in the control is getting vacuum. so i have no idea whats going on there.

just recently i decided to seafoam my truck to see if this would help me get better fuel mileage, i put half the can in my gas and half in my vacuum lines because i had just changed my oil and did not feel like changing it again so soon. and the day after that my 4x4 went out again. is there anyway that the seafoam might have clogged the vacuum line to the actuator under the battery? i also noticed a mouse nest in front of the distributor cap that i removed. could this have clogged some lines? this is my guess but other than that i am stuck.

i did read in the thread 4x4 no worky that the ac and the 4x4 are sometimes related but i tried looking into where it says the problem is and i cant see a damn thing.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are getting a vacuum leak at the HVAC panel inside, then the panel itself is shot. Does your 4wd work if you disconnect & plug the vacuum feed line to the HVAC panel?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 AM

i have no idea where the HVAc panel even is. is it in the glove box?

if so i just went out there and there is only one thing in there that says relay access and there are 3 relays in there. i cant see anything else.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

HVAC panel == the thing with the dials on it that you turn to select fan speed, temperature, and mode (defrost, floor, bi-level, etc).

Old 03-02-2011, 11:29 AM

oh oh oh oh oh. well that went out before the 4x4 did. i didnt have control of that for a while when i had 4x4 so i know one is not causing the other to go bad.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:06 PM

so i took apart my car just to look at it again today and it turns out that the vacuum actuator was torn just the tiniest bit. went to autozone and replaced it for free, put it back on and boom. 4x4 again. the AC still isnt working though.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Administrator

You still have a vacuum leak somewhere. Since you state that you hear a hissing when you move the hvac controls, then I would start there.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 PM

i did take it apart yesterday. there was vacuum going to the controls but something was still wrong.
like i said, i can choose to turn it off by twisting it to off, but as soon as i turn it anywhere else it goes to defroster and feet. it hisses everywhere but when on that selection.
i read somewhere that this was the default for when there was no vacuum power to somewhere.
do you know where the vacuum line goes into the firewall to reach the controls? the engine is so jam packed its hard to see anything.