Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

NOISE!! haha

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Beginning Member
19jimmy99 is on a distinguished road
Default NOISE!! haha

i have a prob i had my 99 jimmy in to the garage today to get a noise checked out and the fella said my front end is all good and he cant find out what the noise is he can here it when he takes it for adrive but dosnet know what it is....it happens when iam driveing down the road and it sounds like my front right wheelis goin to ratttle off any body shed some light on the situation

Old 08-07-2009, 08:33 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

Jack the front up and spin the wheel it's possible you have a bad wheel bearing or hub

Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Beginning Member

it only happens wheni hit bumps which is near all the t ime hear but you still think the same thing???

Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

when its jacked up put a bar under the tire and pull up(move the tire in and out) ,see if there is movement in the ball joints as well

Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Starting Member
hotrod413 is on a distinguished road

happend to my 2WD. The caliper pins broke, and would wriggle their way to the rim when I hit a bump. Made a terrible scraping sound. It almost made a rattle like the bumper bolts were loose. It would only do it after I hit a bump though. Check it out. Its only a 5 dollar 2 minute fix

flame suit ON for posting autozone link

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...Name=Brakeware

Last edited by hotrod413; 08-10-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Radar Locust is on a distinguished road

Is there a vibration associated with it, or is it just a noise?
Check all your bushings (Including the engine mounts).
Also, unfortunate experience has taught me that although you think the noise is coming from the front right it could be coming from somewhere else like the drive shaft or torsion bars.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:22 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Had a knock in the front of another car I had once every time I went over a bump, finally tracked it down to worn D bushes holding stabiliser bar to chassis.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:04 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

I've got a knocking sound in the front of my truck. Sounds like a broken shock or something. Sounds like it is actually in the dash or just behind. Also considered the wiper arm knuckle could be worn. Maybe steering column, who knows! Nobody has been able to identify it. I think foxxie may have the answer - to my problem at least, but these may be areas to consider. Maybe, thinking about it now, each time the wheel bounces on the rough surface it relieves the tension on the front sway bar enough to have it loose & that causes the "knocking" sound. On a smooth surface I don't seem to have the noise.

Make sense, anyone? Or am I talking ..... LOL

Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer
I've got a knocking sound in the front of my truck. Sounds like a broken shock or something. Sounds like it is actually in the dash or just behind. Also considered the wiper arm knuckle could be worn. Maybe steering column, who knows! Nobody has been able to identify it. I think foxxie may have the answer - to my problem at least, but these may be areas to consider. Maybe, thinking about it now, each time the wheel bounces on the rough surface it relieves the tension on the front sway bar enough to have it loose & that causes the "knocking" sound. On a smooth surface I don't seem to have the noise.

Make sense, anyone? Or am I talking ..... LOL
You are right on the money with the problem I had, sounded like a lose shock every time I went over a bump.What was happening when the tension was taken off the stabiliser bar knocked against the chassis, a $10 fix.LOL

Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Beginning Member

hey all what i thouhg would be an expen sive fix ended up being a 7 dollar fix for a new bracket on my hood which had worn out ....thanks for alll the input it took a half dozen guys at the garage to figure out a 7 dollar problem....haha dont always figure the worst like me PEACE i am out

Quick Reply: NOISE!! haha