Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

NOISE!! haha

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 06:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They probably installed a $1 conical washer (Hood Hinge Rattle - TSB 01-08-63-001B).

Glad you got it fixed!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:20 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Hey Kyle! Just checked my bonnet (hood). I can actually move it up & down at the pivot bolts. More so on the left than the driver side. Not much, but sufficient to create the rattle I'm sure. I'll look into this conical washer thing you refer to. Is that it's part no. quoted on the TSB? Or will any spring washer do the trick?

I was surprised to see it's only held with a 3/8" (I think) bolt.

Man, where would I be without your infinite wisdom?

Probably at the mercy of the local mechanics (my dad used to refer to them as Ali Baba & his 40 thieves!) LOL

Old 08-26-2009, 02:01 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Hey Kyle! You were bang on the money with the hood rattle.

When I took my truck in to get the a/c & heater sorted I gave the Chevy guys (who were still scratching their heads over this rattle), a print of the TSB.

Whilst they had it, they fitted the washer on the hood & now I have a surprisingly quiet ride every day.

I think they now have respect for this forum. I see they had been checking it out!

Thanks again Kyle 'o wise one! I salute you!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it fixed Ken! That noise can cause a LOT of unnecessary repairs if it is not checked first. It sounds so similar to bad sway bar end links as well as bad ball joints.

Sorry I did not respond sooner. I was on vacation last week and did not have cell service, let alone internet!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Beginning Member
SWC1969 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the hood hinge tip...I had the same issue!

Another noise that I found in my quest for this rattle was at the right front sway bar end link. For some reason, the right end of the sway bar sits closer to the control arm than the left side does (This isn't the only Jimmy I've seen this on). This causes the end link to be pushed back and wear out the inside of the upper bushings, which then allows the center bolt to make contact with the control arm bracket.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Theordkid is on a distinguished road
Default help

I am happy to find this forum .. i have a 99 blazer .. I have hood hinge noise .. my question is where does the conical washer fit ? bolt side ? between hood hinges ? nut side ? thanks for any help you can lend me !

Old 12-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member

Bolt side.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Beginning Member

I actually fixed mine by inserting a short piece of vacuum hose in the rubber bumper that sits at the top of the fender and the hood rests on it when it's closed. This put enough upward pressure on the hood to keep the hinge from rattling.