Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

OEA shock absorbers drop my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:03 PM
TheBrownBomber99LT is on a distinguished road
Default OEA shock absorbers drop my suspension

Hey guys, newb here. Just overhauled my 99 LT 4WD front suspension with new ball joints, hubs, sway bar links, and tie rods and wanted to top it off with some new shocks before getting the final alignment. I bought some OEA KYB Excel-G Shocks Part # 344042 from the local Oreillys and found after putting the front ones on that I had lost about an inch of ride hight. I took them out and checked them against the old stock DeCarbons (should have done this in the first place) and they were a half inch shorter. I took them back and the guys at the store seemed quite confused about why it would make that much difference but convinced my to buy some Rancho RS5000s Part # RS5123 since they come on the ZR2 offroad model and were taller over all (even taller by a bit than the stock DeCarbons). Drove it around for a bit to see if maybe they just needed to settle in or something and still encountered the same problem. Lost almost exactly an inch of ride hight in the front, Oreillys guys still baffled. As far as I can tell the truck was bone stock when I bought it. No lift or anything, hell, it even still had the original tires at 138k. Am I an idiot and missing something incredibly obvious here or is there something screwy with my truck? Haven't heard of anyone else encountering this problem. Totally lost at this point and thinking about going to the Chevy dealer but I'm afraid they might try to sell me something unnecessarily expensive. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Last edited by TheBrownBomber99LT; 12-12-2015 at 03:05 PM.