Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Pitman and Idler arm replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default Pitman and Idler arm replacement

I plan on replacing both of these this weekend. What tools will I need to do this?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A pitman arm puller would make things easier, but you have to pull the steering gear box loose to be able to get one on.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:20 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

yeah i know i have to pull the gear box. Is that the only tool i should need?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 AM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

A 1/2" drive socket set, wrench set, mallat, ball peen hammer, and a pickle-fork. I believe thats what I used last time.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:22 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah you will really want an impact hammer with a lot of torque for the pitman arm

Old 05-15-2009, 11:25 AM

True true-if you don't have access to air tools, you can get a cheater pipe to help.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can also get a tierod end press to aid in the removal of the tapered rod ends at both the pitman arm and the idler arm where they connect to the center link. But a pickle fork works good too. Even better is a pickle fork air hammer bit!

Old 05-15-2009, 12:45 PM

Now we"re talkin! Get some!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

I removed my steering box right out of the truck and used a 3-jaw puller and my electric impact to get the pitman arm off. Took about 10 minutes to get the steering box out and 5 to remove the pitman arm. Just throwing out other options depending on what tools you have! BFH is certainly a must

Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 PM

I was at autozone today and saw that pitman arm puller. We have those in our snap-on puller kits. I've always just grabbed whatever puller fits the job needed! lol, oh well. Learn something new everyday.

Quick Reply: Pitman and Idler arm replacement