Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Pitman and Idler arm replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 02:03 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

ok i have the gear box unbolted and im hoping i can get the puller on there without un-hooking the lines. Do any of you know the size of the nut for the pitman arm?

Old 05-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it was 34mm. I don't know how the pitman arm pullers are but you will probably find it easier to take the lines off and take the steering box right out of the truck. Hit the lines with a little heat if they are frozen just don't go overboard because there is a seal on each of them about an inch down. There is no special method for bleeding the power steering unit either after reassembly you just jack the truck up top it with fluid and spin the steering wheel back and forth.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Beginning Member
jimdian is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I tried tackling this bull**** for the last 3hours but I could not break the connection on the center link on both the idler and pitman, I have no air tho. They wouldn't budge, 2 big hammers tried the fork I can't believe the y are that tight?

Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have access to even a small propane torch? If so, try heating them, then quenching them with some penetrating oil. The rapid heating and cooling should help free the tapered shaft from the bore.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

dont heat anything up. go buy a tie rod separator .. looks like this .. and an electric impact..

those tools... $80 for both at harbor freight, knuckles that are not bleeding ... priceless

use that and an electric impact wrench and everything pops right off no problem

you can use it on ball joints, tie rods, pitman & idler and it doesnt destroy the boots.

with this tool and the electric impact, i can take my front end down to nothing in less than an hour. I tell you what, i wish i would have had this combo for the last 10 years... UNBELIEVABLE how easy all those parts come off with this combo.

I dont know why the hell they even make pickle forks, or more important, why people say you need one. just silly

Old 05-24-2009, 10:57 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

Harbor freight, eh? I may just try that.

If it doesn't work, I still have my trusty pickle fork! /jabjab hehehe

Old 05-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are replacing the pitman & idler arm, who cares what happens to the boot...?

I love my pickle fork bit for my air hammer!

Old 05-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

oh i suppose you wouldnt care about those two boots, i was just noting that its a useful tool in that way.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Banned
michaelross is on a distinguished road

Is it hard to replace the idler arm? I was planning to do it myself but I am not a good mechanic so I was thinking I take it to the car shop instead.

Last edited by michaelross; 11-02-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

i replaced my idler arm on mine in about half an hour.. it is VERY easy, i mean its only three bolts to remove and it only cost me $25 at napa

Quick Reply: Pitman and Idler arm replacement