Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Play in steering wheel only when it isn't centered

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:17 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Play in steering wheel only when it isn't centered

Hi everyone. I notice that I have like 2" of play in the steering wheel when it is turned left or right when the car is stopped and I turn the wheel. There is near-zero play when it is centered (in fact, it seems too sensitive). I just had the steering gear, pitman arm, wheel bearings and 2 ball joints replaced. The other ball joints, the idler arm, CV axles and brake calipers were also replaced within the past couple years. The rag joint was checked and found to be fine. Is this normal or do I have another front end problem? 80% of the problems I have had with this truck has been with the front end and brakes over the past 3.5 years. Sometimes I also feel side to side vibration at high speeds. I don't know if it is from the cargo box on the truck or if there is another problem. I will have to take it off and test drive it.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 06-12-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Beginning Member
Scorpious is on a distinguished road

BUMP!!!!

i have same issue...
when driving i have 4 inches of play in the steering(2 inches left till wheels turn, then 4 inches back to move right, considering the 2" to get back to dead center)

when not running the steering is tight, and during a turn there is zero play untill the wheels are straight again.

for example when i turn its tight, when i drive straight im constantly holding to the left or right side and switching back and forth considering the road,(when its in the center its almost free floating) but still this play bothers me. just had idler arm replaced.
pitman arms seemed okay.. what do i check?
theres no shaking, wheels are tight...

i had a guy recomend an allignment but i know those are typicly for off steering, they dont fix play in parts