Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Is it possible to tell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Beginning Member
TinW is on a distinguished road
Default Is it possible to tell?

Hi all.

I have a 2000 Blazer 4x4 2dr LS (my 1st) and I would like to know if there is a way to tell visually whether it has had a high/wide package fitted to it. Reason for this is that I need to do a bit of front end work to it - ball joints and a lower control arm to be precise. I did have the VIN checked and it came back wit a negative on this. However, I recently had to do the rear rotors and backplates, and the VIN said the vehicle was fitted with the standard 7.625" diff. Not so. it actually has an 8.625" limited slip diff, and the suspension on it is, well lets just say I feel every bump in the road (OUCH).

Anyone have any pointers as to how I can tell if it was beefed up?

TinW

Old 03-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

is yours a stick shift? i think that all the sticks were the larger rear end. but im not completely sure on that. if you check your RPO codes in the glove box, you will be looking for "ZR2" thats the higher/wider package.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:19 AM
Beginning Member

No mine is automatic. Where in the glove box would I find the codes?

TinW

Old 03-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Beginning Member

OK just looked in my glovebox and found the sticker (pretty mangled after 14 yrs) and found a whole host of codes on there one of them being ZR2. I am presuming that all these codes, assuming that was what you were referring to, have something to do with what the vehicle was fitted with at manufacture and that all of them are relevant to my vehicle. If my lack of knowledge seems a bit naieve, please forgive me as my last vehicle was a Land Rover which I owned for over 10 yrs.

TinW

Old 03-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

RPO codes, (Regular Production Option) in the glove box has all of the options that your vehicle was equipped with when it was built. ZR2 has a different frame, (higher, wider). It's not something that can be "added" after the vehicle is built. Post all RPO's that start with "G" and we can figure out which rear axle and gear ratio you have.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Beginning Member

Hey sorry to be so long in getting back. The two codes are GT4 and G80. Somebody mentioned too that the shocks could have something to do with the rock hardness of the suspension. All 4 are Bilstein shocks. Also when looking up the VIN for this vehicle it says it has 4 wheel ABS errr no it doesnt. It has front wheel ABS. I know this as I have had the rear end apart. Trust me to get the seemingly ~Odd One Out~

Cheers

Tin

Old 04-05-2014, 06:08 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

GT4 = 3.73 ratio rear differential

G80 = Positraction limited slip axle

Old 04-05-2014, 07:51 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=TinW;623836]Hey sorry to be so long in getting back. The two codes are GT4 and G80. Somebody mentioned too that the shocks could have something to do with the rock hardness of the suspension. All 4 are Bilstein shocks. Also when looking up the VIN for this vehicle it says it has 4 wheel ABS errr no it doesnt. It has front wheel ABS. I know this as I have had the rear end apart. Trust me to get the seemingly ~Odd One Out~

Cheers
The sensor for the rear abs is mounted towards the rear of the trans housing.....

Old 04-05-2014, 09:03 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Attached is a list of GM RPO Codes. Have fun looking up the codes from you car.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RPO.pdf (1.12 MB, 480 views)
Old 04-05-2014, 10:25 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mr.vls
Attached is a list of GM RPO Codes. Have fun looking up the codes from you car.

That looks like an all day affair there!!:icon

Quick Reply: Is it possible to tell?